Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2013 etec 150 hp lower unit /gear case

i bought  a 2013 evinrude 150hp on my pontoon new in 2013...and the warrenty,was up 3 months ago

since it was new,my being very mechanically inclined....and i've onwed a boat for the past 30 years or so

i always changed the oil in the lower unit/gear  case myself..the very first time, i changed the oil in the lower unit

there was metal flakes in it...this didn't seem right...i then called the dealer where i bought it from..i even took them a sample of the oil....and they told me it was normal to see a few flakes in the oil....ok it ran and performed fine...every year i have chaned it there was metal  flakes in oil

then......this just happened this week,i took the boat out.....it never made any noise or sounds.....it just started clunking and thumping making all sorts of noise....i took it to the dealer where i bought it from,they managed to get me in right away,pulled the unit apart.....the gears are totally gone ...i feel,this was an ongoing problem since day 1 ,that there was a problem...to the best of my knowlage,there shouldn't be any metal flakes .....i am hoping evenrude will still honer the warrenty because it so close...........................bob nurrito

Admiral

Re: 2013 etec 150 hp lower unit /gear case

[ Edited ]

Metal particles in the oil is never a good thing and should be investigated right away. Metallic fuzz on the drain and fill screw magnets are normal, but metal slivers or chunks are not.

Ask your dealer to contact Evinrude to see if any participation could be expected as good will.

You can also email Evinrude with the engine serial number, dealer name, and your situation to   http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.