Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

2016 90hp sputtering

Hello All

My 2016 90 etec just started sputtering or missing at between 2300-4400 rpm.It runs fine at full throttle.The motor has 76 hrs. on it.I have changed out the fuel filter but still same problem and seems to be getting worse.It was only sputtering or missing a little bit but now seems to be doing it all the time in that rpm range.Any thoughts would be Greatly appreciated as I travel a remote lake and am concerned about being stranded.Thank-You All

Captain

Re: 2016 90hp sputtering

Hello All

Just an update on my sputtering/missing problem,Took into dealer and they checked fuel pressure,fuel quality,spark plugs,charging,found everything ok but had a IB fault code/internal cumbustion.The tech has refered this code back to Evinrude Tech's as they are stumped and want to take boat out under load.Waiting for Tech response,will keep you posted unless anyone has had this same problem and would like to share any info.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

There is no code 1B but there is a code 18. That one is for excessive system voltage. You may want to get confirmation on that.

CODE 18

55 V alternator output above 57 V. Perform stator/charging tests. Eliminate loose connections in 55 V circuit. Check and test capacitor and inspect stator, flywheel, and magnets.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Hello

Further to my conversations with evinrude service advisor,He told me there was a   i B fault  not 1 B    he said it was an Internal Combustion Fault and the Techs were stomped and have refered it ti the Master evinrude Techs also they want to water test under load,Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Captain

Hello BluewaterBill

Evinrude guru from head office can only suggest taking boat out on water and load it to try to replicate my problem,they have tested everything in the book and cant find any problems,will keep you posted on this,Thanks for trying to help me.