Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2018 E-Tec 90 HP sputtering and stalling since new

Our club has two 90 HP E-Tecs that we bought new last year.  Both experience poor running, stalling and dying on a regular basis, to the point I consider them unsafe for our instructors and race committee to use them.  They both repeatedly sputter, have no power and stall and then are very difficult to restart.  After repeated periods of downtime the dealer has replaced fuel pumps on each, to no avail.  Yesterday one unit lost power at about 4,000 rpms, with RPMs declining over the course of about 20 seconds until the unit stopped, I have used the boats 4 or 5 times, and each time the units have stalled at operating speed of 3-4,000 RPM, nad eventually restart and seemingly run fine for a few minuites-ine ach instance wherere I returned themtot he dock and took another boat.  In ech instance the fuel ball was hard, and fuel supply does not seem to be an issue.  The unit eventually restarted and ran fine for the next 15 minutes.  We have tried new fuel, the techs re-routed the fuel lines to rule out fuel line restrictions, the fuel is new and we use racor water separators.

At this point, we have two  program boats that have been unreliable since new.

Admiral

Re: 2018 E-Tec 90 HP sputtering and stalling since new

[ Edited ]

Most often those types of symptoms are commonly fuel quality or fuel delivery issues but  the whole rigs should be inspected and tested by a trained technician.  

The motors should be in warranty. Have a tech with the laptop dianostic software, fuel pressure and vacuum gauges, and a clear piece of fuel hose do a water test with you. If the motors act up, he can monitor the laptop and the gauges to see any abnormalities.

Because you say both motors exhibit similar symptoms, chances are it is something common to the motors.

What are the model and serial numbers?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

The dealer has done all of that, repeatedly.  Each unit has had 3 or 4 fuel pumps, which they said had been the problem-the pump apparently incorporates the vapor separator, which i understand can be an issue (I had issues with the vapor separator needle valve sticking on my Suzuki that baffled two dealers-I stumbled onto the solution after scouring the parts manuals.). Have the pumps/vapor separators been an issue on these motors?

On our boats the the fuel is clear, the Racors never show water.  Both Ribcrafts were new last year and engines were installed by our local dealer.  The dealer recently tried adjusting fuel lines to eliminate possibility of fuel line obstruction. Apparently not the issue either, but they still think fuel starvation.  Often the units will kick and sputter after starting, and not advance beyond a rough idle even with the throttles fully open.  

We lost most of the first summer with them, and at least one is down even before the season has started.  Boats would stall, and in some cases would eventually restart, but often had to be towed in.  As head of the race committee, i don't want to see them in use until they run reliably, nor am i comfortable with their use as sailing program boats, their primary purpose.

What about possible filter failure caused by ethanol?  Last year a friend encountered a sporadic failure on his Etec that was tracked to a low pressure fuel filter on the engine that reacted to ethanol in the fuel, cutting off the fuel supply on a sporadic basis.  The issue was finally diagnosed by the Evinrude area service rep..  Has Evinrude had any similar failures on more recent motors?  We can only get E10 fuel now   .How do we get his elevated to have the area service rep look at the motors?

I will see if I can get the serial numbers.  The units remain in warranty, but poor running for the entire first season was unacceptable, and I see no prospect for improvement for this season. 

(I note that our dealer is extremely responsive and both the club and many members have a great relationship with them, as do I, but I think there is a problem with the motors that is beyond their capabilities)

Admiral

We are really sorry to hear about your experiences and we hope that your dealer has contacted Evinrude's support team to assist them. If they did, ask for the case numbers.

Ask specifically if the tech(s) ran the fuel vacuum and bubble test as taught in the Evinrude training classes and ask what the readings were at full throttle and when the motor started to act up.  Also ask if the VST vent hoses were checked for fuel when the motor was running poorly and what the fuel pressure readings were. They should also be able to know both the battery voltage and the system voltages at that time also.  In addition you could ask for each engine's computer printout report both before and during the engine problem running time.

You may also wish to contact Evinrude After Sales by sending an email outlining the problems, both motor's serial numbers, and your dealer's name to   http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

The motors are designed for the use of E-10 ethanol blended fuel and that does not cause a problem while it is fresh.  E-10 may attract moisture and phase-separate over time, especially in high humidity areas and warm temperatures. That phase-separated alcohol-water mixture consists of high concentrations of ethanol, much higher that 10%, and that  elevated corrosive mixture is what often affects rubber and plastic parts and causes engine drivability problems and internal corrosion of precision parts . 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

As an Evinrude dealer tech and having over 1500 hours on my personal 3 cylinder Etec I can say that fuel pump/vapor separator problems are very rare on these engines.
Your dealer needs to check the wide open throttle, trimmed correctly, maximum RPM. It should be 5200 by the book but for a lot of mid range use it may help to prop it to 5400.
If the shift cable is adjusted a bit off center, metal shift lever on engine should be vertical or parallel with the intake manifold gasket in neutral, then the gear position switch may be off center. This can cause an engine to think it is still in neutral and the rev limiter will cut cylinders (make the engine run rough) to limit it to 1800 rpm.
Skipper

A fair amount of the time,the motors will not go past a very rough idle.  They sputter and die if you advance the throttle, in or out of gear.  When they are running, they will get to around 5,000 RPM and run fine for a few minutes, then start to lose RPMs over 10 or 15 seconds, until they stall and won't restart for a few minutes.  I am very surprised that the events aren't recorded in the control unit.

it is not a subtle problem, albeit intermittent.  Getting toiwed in repeatedly seems foolish with two new boats.

Admiral

One thing that will not allow the motor to accelerate and run rough just above idle is if the throttle is not completely closed when the motor is started. The EMM thinks there is something wrong if it "sees" the throttle open, even a little bit, when starting.  The same thing can happen if the throttle cable adjustment is incorrect or if something in the linkage is sticking which holds the throttle partially open.

Be sure to contact Evinrude After Sales as suggested earlier.

Skipper

I understand the dealer's chief mechanic was down looking at the unit that died on me the other day, but it ran fine for him.  He did pull an error code which he reportedly thought was related to the vapor separator.  This unit is model# E90PXAFG, Ser.#055251288.

I believe that the dealer has been in contact with the area service rep, although the issue has been going on for a year.

Admiral

Again, be sure to contact Evinrude After Sales as suggested earlier.

Skipper

I did the online thing.  After submission, it said the page was not working, but I did get an email acknowledgement, so i will hope it works.