Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: 2018 E-Tec 90 HP sputtering and stalling since new

I was going to check the service history for you to see if I could spot anything but your serial number has too many digits in it.
Skipper

Oops-the serial number is 05525188.

Captain

Bill has guided you in the best direction to get help from Evinrude.
I'm just a dealer tech that volunteers to try to help owners. I apologize for giving more questions than answers but diagnosing by keyboard can take a lot of questions.
Does the water outlet at the back of your engines have an open port 3/8" with a large low pressure telltale stream or a restrictor plug with a small high pressure telltale?
Skipper

It looks to me like there is a 3/8 hole and a good thick stream from the telltale.

(I also checked to make sure the vapor separator vent hose shipping clip had been removed-it had.)

The dealer is now thinking fuel supply again, but when it has died on me, the fuel ball remained relatively firm (like 90%) and although it would harden slightly when compressed, l didn't get the engine to restart, so I am skeptical.  I have had supply issues on my boat -like last year my Racor unscrewed itself just slightly- and they generally resulted in the fuel bulb collapsing or becoming soft and engine function restored, at least temporarily, when the bulb was primed.  Not so on these Etecs.  But it happens with both Ribcrafts, so...   

As for the questions, not a problem.  It is impossible to diagnose things without sufficient and correct information, so keep asking.  I am more concerned with getting to the bottom of this issue.

Do these Etecs use diaphragm driven pumps to the vapor separator and then feed the high pressure pump off of a bowl in he vapor separator?

The answer was no before, but I am wondering if the fuel  could be  be temporarily getting obstructed.  I had an experience recently where a friend's Etec was stalling because of an intermittent clogging of the low pressure fuel filter on the engine due to a reaction with ethanol.  Every time we hit a wave, the engine sputtered and lost power like it was about to stall  , and as we decelerated, the engine would regain power.  made for a very unpleasant ride.  Took weeks to diagnose, and was only found by the Evinrude area service rep.

Captain

A diaphragm driven pump for suction feeds fuel to the vapor separator tank.
The vapor separator supplies fuel to the high pressure pump.
The older version of the VST/pump was made by Carter and had a cylindrical pump mounted outside of the VST, the newer unit is made by Walbro and the pump is internal in the vapor separator tank. Can you check the VST/pump on your engines for me to determine which one it is?
Skipper

[ Edited ]

That's what I thought.  The pump unit is the combined unit with the pump in the vapor separator.

The high pressure pump is burned out-this is the 4th unit for this engine-makes me think here is a fuel supply issue, although as noted before, when this occurred the fuel primer bulb was fine and priming what little softness was there (like 5%) out did not result in a restart. 

It's almost like something is randomly clogging the line to or from the low pressure pump, starving the HP pump, while not drawing a vacuum in the line to the tank.  Are there any hose plugs or shields shipped in the units that have to be removed during install? (I already cheddkced for the VST vent hose clamp)  I once had to diagnose a no fuel situation in a Volvo after a pump replacement-turned out the installer/owner failed to remove the protective cover on the barb on the pump-and it came off and worked its way 1" up the hose, totally closing the hose.  Very tough to figure out.   Or a sticky needle valve in the VST causing the pumps to run dry?  (Like my DT225)

Apparently the dealer has tasked its chief technician-who has always been excellent, and he has been given a list of points to respond to from the factory engineers-so I guess this has been elevated.   This includes swapping out both high and low pressure pumps and then trying an external fuel tank.

Captain

I suspected that you had the new Walbro unit with the internal pump as the old Carter pumps have been obsolete for at least 6 months maybe longer.
A water outlet restrictor that screws into the rear flush/outlet port is required to be installed with the Walbro pump and is included in the pump kit.
We do not really know why it must be installed but as techs we follow the installation instructions.
I suspect the water outlet restrictor slows down water outlet flow so fuel heat can transfer into the water. There is a good possibility that without the restrictor the fuel pumps are running too hot and locking up until they cool down again.
The restrictor can be removed for flushing or running on the hose. If a tech were running the engine on the flush port at a shop the problem would not show up.
Skipper

The tech was there most of the day, replaced both pumps, installed a portable tank, new fuel bulb...

An hour later the unit reportedly would not start.  It coughed and sputtered and they had to use another boat. 

Unaware of the non-start, I arrived a few hours later and looked under the cover to check the fuel line routing based on my concern the dealer supplied fuel line might be affecting fuel supply.  The cover was very difficult to fit back on, but it ran fine for me.  A little hesitation at a few spots on the throttle, but got up to 5,000 RPM.  I started and stopped it a few time without problem... 

So, after another day, still not reliable.  I think we have ruled outf uel supply from the he tank to the engine, and from the low pressure pump to the vapor separator.  

It now seems to be between the output side fo the fuel bulb and the input to the low pressure pump.  What is set in that path by the dealer?  The hose going to the engine in the control bundle (wires, hoses and cables) looks like double thickness USCG approved hose-much thicker than I am used to seeing running through control bundles to an engine.  Could this setup be causing a fuel constriction?   

I am thinking that by opening the cover I may have removed the fuel flow restriction.

Captain

The Etec factory fuel hose runs through a rubber grommet on the engine and out about 8" where the boat fuel line connects to a Barb. The thick line which is USCG required for runs inside the hull would be too big to go through the engine grommet.
Captain

Also check that the water restrictor was installed this time.