Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: 2018 E-Tec 90 HP sputtering and stalling since new

So, Evinrude Aftersales reported they are working with our dealer, but little good it is doing.  A week later we still have two boats that we cannot trust to put sailing program kids and race committee members on.

After a full day of going over one of the units they replaced the fuel pump based on an error code and indicated it was actually burned out.  They also installed a new low pressure pump, separate fuel tank with new feed hoses, fuel bulb, etc...  An hour later when tried, the unit would not start, it would sputter a few times and stall.  Two hours later, it started and ran fine for ten minutes.  This weekend, it started fine, then died inthe bay and wouldn't restart for a few minutes.  So, we have taken fuel supply out as an issue and now it has to be internal to the engine unit.  Even when they are running, they accelerate poorly, stumbling if you try to accelerate evenly, requiring rapid acceleration to get past the dead spots.

At this point I don't see any option other than replacing the units and trying to get Evinrude to take them back.  Any other suggestion?  Certainly not what we expected when we purchased two new units.

Skipper

Well, we are three weeks into this, and still no progress.  The shop still has one unit, the other one is at our club, but still intermittently losing RPMs and not reliable.  The other day it shut down from 4500 RPMs to 3,000 then 2,000 then 1000.  It was almost like a limiter was kicking in-setting max RPMs in 1000 RPM increments.  Then after running rough at 1,000 RPMs, it would suddenly jump back to 4500 RPMs and back to 1000 RPMs, like a switch was being turned on and off.  What types of limits can the computer set on these for various conditions, like low oil, overheat...? Could there be a bad connection that is fooling the computer causing it to implement RPM safety limits?  (e.g. my Suzuki limits RPMs to 2,000 if the oil tank level is low).  When this happens, the guage does not show any faults.

Apparently the Yard has now ruled out the boat, fuel tank, fuel supply-so now at a loss.

I was also very surprised that the unit would start and run with the kill switch removed.  (The engine will shut off if the switch is in place  when started and subsequently removed.)

Captain

Sorry to hear your disasterous story about your motors,I too am having similer issues with my 2016 90hp,only my issue has my dealer techs and the factory tech completely baffled and as of right now nobody knows how to fix it.Did you try to have your motors replaced by evinrude?I have given mt dealer till the end of this week to resovle my motor issue and if not I am taking the motor off the boat and leaving it at the dealership,they seem to think they can play with it all summer as they have time,I think not.It will be very interesteding this friday at my dealership when we pullup with a truck mounted crane and yard that lemon off my boat.Let me know how you make out as will I

Skipper

I try to avoid ultimatums with our dealer.  They areally are working on it and concerned and our relationship has been good for decades-I worked fo the dealer 45 years ago and am still friendly with hima nd his staff.    Unfortunately these engines are much more complicated than any outboard I have ever worked on.  My next move will be to bring in a friend who has better logic than most repairers.  He solved fuel injection problems on a BMW and a Suzuki outboard that multiple dealars couldn't resolve.  It all came down to logically isolating the problem to identify the malfunctioning sensors.

But, our sailing program starts next week, and we need these boats, so we will see what happens next.

Between this issue and ethanol, i suspect I will never own another gasoline powered boat should my Suzuki fail me.

Captain

I hear you Fishlaw  Perhaps I did sound abit aggressive but I desperately need my boat,I am stranded on a remote lake which I must cross 14 miles of water,I am right in the middle of renovating my cabin with new windows and a kitchen and need supplies etc..With no boat I am at a standstill,so I will take back my boat and throw any motor I can get my hands on it for now till evinrude resolves my issues.As always I hope all works out for us in the end and we have Happy faces again

Skipper

The factory engineers say there is an issue with the ECUs and are repalcing them in both boats-as well as at least one fuel pump.  Fingers crossed.