Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Any lighter weight 175 to 200hp in the works?

Someday I will repower my rig. If I stayed with a 175 to 200hp motor, the new G2 with integral power steering weigh more than Suzuki 4-strokes. I like the concept of a V6 without the integral power steering, I think E'rude calls it the 'track' mid-section, but it only shaves ~30-pounds off the already heavy G2 motors, so the execution is flawed IMHO.

Having been a life-long Evinrude owner ... I think this is a BIG miss in the product development and marketing department. I see Evinrude MISSING out on the OB re-power market!

My 'old' DI 175hp (still running!) only weighs 410-pounds. Can't Evinrude make either an E-Tec or a G2-LITE version, that has the whiz-bang features of the new G2s without all the weight? 

Captain

Re: Any lighter weight 175 to 200hp in the works?

I have not heard of any plans to make lighter versions of the G2 engines. All outboards have increased in weight to meet emission requirements. The G2's have larger av plates and much more torque than the older engines so even if heavier they are much faster and more fuel efficient than the older engines.
Current specs show the Suzuki in line 4, DF200A weighs 518lbs. The 2.7l V6 G2 weighs 533 lbs.
Skipper

I hear you ,,, but recall many boats seeking a re-power will require a REPLACEMENT of the transom OB bracket to add such a heavy motor, 2 or 4-stroke. With the weights you're talking, it's a good 20%+ increase in weight.

And I sure don't have any torque problems with my late 90s technology OB motor now ... so I'd be PERFECTLY happy with a newer technology DI 2-stroke weighing in ~450 or less. Just my opinion, but a big miss on the Evinrude 2-strokes ... once hailed as the King of power-to-weight ratio ... and that is now gone.
Captain

I can see where one could say the power (horsepower) to weight ratio is not as good.
Reports from owners of boats that I have repowered from both carbed and Gen1 Etecs of the same horsepower, the time to plane is cut in half and top speed has increased. This indicates the power to weight ratio ( combined horsepower and torque) is much better.
We do expect that there will be a V4 version of the G2 coming out. If that comes in a 135 hp version it could give performance equal to a 150 carbed engine.
Skipper

Thank you Rick for that input!

Captain

Wow, that (G2 in a V4 at 135 hp) would definitely be of interest to me. Is there any way to find out if and when that may occur? :-)
Skipper

@alyaz wrote:
Wow, that (G2 in a V4 at 135 hp) would definitely be of interest to me. Is there any way to find out if and when that may occur? :-)

I'd buy a G2 135hp HO in a 2nd ... 

Captain

Sorry to hijack the thread... but in my queries of Evinrude, no one thinks we will see one (V4 G2 135) for about 1.5 years...  Doesn't sound like there is anything substantive being worked on.

Captain

I did not say a V4 G2 was coming out anytime soon. Several good sources have said over the last few years that the G2 technology will move down the line.
Currently it seems that all the outboard manufactures are busy trying to "out horsepower" or "out feature" each other.
Admiral

@DaleH wrote:

Someday I will repower my rig. If I stayed with a 175 to 200hp motor, the new G2 with integral power steering weigh more than Suzuki 4-strokes. I like the concept of a V6 without the integral power steering, I think E'rude calls it the 'track' mid-section, but it only shaves ~30-pounds off the already heavy G2 motors

The weight of the 200 Suzuki with digital controls appears to be at 520lbs (531# for the 25" shaft length) and the Evinrude G-2 E--TEC  200 w/ DPS weighs in at 533 lbs -- only a 13 # difference with the power steering equipped E-TEC 200. 

WAIT, There is more! 
The Suzuki also requires a hydraulic steering cylinder and related brackets with hardware bolted to the front of the motor.  A SeaStar cylinder and bracket weighs between 10 and 12 pounds.  Now let's look at the total motor weight. The Suzuki 200 now weighs ( 520 + 10 = 530#) almost the same as the Evinrude 200 - the 3# difference is insignificant.

Now you can have a V-6 engine weighing about the same as a  4 cylinder 4 stroke plus you get the increased power and tremendous torque of Evinrude. That is a win-win  apples to apples weight comparison with better performance included by going with the Evinrude E-TEC 200 HP outboard.

One more thing, you can even lighten the load on the back of your boat by ordering the Trak version of the Evinrude G2 200 HP which only weighs 496# and you can use your existing hydraulic steering cylinder. Now you have an E-TEC G2 that weighs less than a Suzuki 200.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.