Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
MJB
Mate

Control Box replacement

On Johnson/Evinrude controls, can a control box be replaced with one from a different year?  My tracker didnt come with an actual box, tracker put the innerds into a alum box covered with carpet.  

Admiral

Re: Control Box replacement

What is the model number of your motor? There were different wiring harnesses for the '73 to '95 motors and '96 to present.

Was the control box mostly hidden behind the aluminum box with only the lever exposed or was the whole control box surface mounted to the box with 2 long screws?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

MJB, As Bill said, wiring harness especially may be different so the electrical connections may not have matching plugs. You can install BRP control box on your boat but may also need new shift and throttle cables.
I worked on a tracker last week. I think Tracker used a Teleflex concealed side mount control with a Tracker decal on the shift handle. You have to remove the screws holding the panel in to access the control box connections.
MJB
Mate

Yes, you described it exactly. That's how it was hidden.  Model # EL25ELETC. I dont have any control box in mind, was just trying to find out my options. Thanks for getting back to me.

MJB
Mate

There was no control box, the controls were just put in an angled aluminum box covered in carpet.

Highlighted
MJB
Mate

I have never worked on any boats, but a (friend) thought he could replace my broken handle and wound up taking  the controls apart.  I did purchase new cables, but now he can't get them back to the original position.  Only an idiot would let an idiot work on something....

Captain

I suppose the word control "box" is misleading.
What you have is know as a concealed side mount control. Since most of the mechanicals are concealed behind a panel there is no "box".
You can replace the unit with a surface mount control but will have to cut a hole in the side panel for the cables to exit. Or install a replacement concealed side mount. Either way you need to find the screws to remove the panel, can be a little tricky as the screws get hidden in the carpet.
Captain

Is your Tracker a "panfish" model?