Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

E-TEC G2 300 hp Hesitation in 1800-2200 RPM Range

Looking for your thoughts on this issue:

• From a standing start:accelerate leisurely
    • from 500 to 1800 rpm all is good
      • from 1800 to 2200 rpm engine rpm is jumping around and if bad enough it can vibrate the 27' pontoon boat
        • form 2200 rpm to WOT all is good.
  • when leisurely decelerating from high rpm
    • WOT to 2200 rpm all is good
      • 2200 to 1800 rpm engine rpm is jumping around
        • 1800 to 500 rpm all is good.

Explanation provided by Envinrude Dealer

• In the 1800 to 2200 rpm range the engine has overlapping low and high rpm computer maps. In this range the engine can repeatedly jump between the 2 maps causing the hesitation and sputtering. 
  • repeated dealer investigation finds no codes or errors.
  • Apparently it does not do this when tested out of the water. Only when in the water pushing the boat.

Dealer's explanation does make some sense to me but I still find it odd that such and advanced and expensive engine can throw a fit in a specific rpm range. Should I believe the dealer? Your thoughts?

Thanks. 

Captain

Re: E-TEC G2 300 hp Hesitation in 1800-2200 RPM Range

What you are seeing is typical IMHO. My g2 225 ho, previous g1 200 ho, and 115 Ficht had similar behavior. Etecs use direct injection to get get fuel into the system. This allows for 2 types of very different combustion models. At low load (rpms usually) the combustion model is known as stratified combustion, one advantage of this is a major reduction in fuel consumption. When engine load picks up the model changes to homogenous combustion. The rpm range you list is very typical of where the change from stratified to homogenous combustion occurs. BRP  are always improving engine maps so I would check to see if you have the latest map. I believe your dealer is communicating what I have said in a simpler manner, but it's a valid description from my point of view.

Mate

Thanks. Appreciate your reply.

I was inclined to believe the dealer but I followed up with Evinrude customer service anyway. Even though I explained to Evinrude I had already worked with the dealer Envirude referred me back to the dealer instead of simply answering the question: "Are there 2 overlapping maps and could this explain the hesitation and sputtering in the 1800-2200 rpm range?". So then I'm wondering why they didn't answer the simple question?

Your reply is very helpful.

Captain

That's probably not something first line support would have a clue about. You probably lost them on engine map let alone overlapping. :-)

Admiral

What is the top rpm trimmed out for best speed with an average load?

What size and model propeller is on the engine?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Good questions

• prop is a Rebel 15 3/8 x 18
  • Can't comment on "typical load"  because I never made note of it. But I can say I hit about 47 mph with a light load in favourable water/wind conditions. This was with trimming to find max rpm/speed which seems to be trim at 50%
  • wish I could tell you what rpm that was because that is an important parameter but I just cannot remember. I know it was near the top of the range so I'm guessing 5900 rpm.
  • with a gear ratio of 1.85:1 that puts my prop slippage around 14%.  I'm guessing I can't do much better than that?
Admiral

You should try an RX4 prop as that one works great with the G2 as it was designed for that motor and gearcase combination.

If your top revs are close to 5900 rpm on a pontoon boat, that is a good thing.

The roughness you experience is the transition point between the low speed "lean burn" combustion mode switching over to the normal combustion mode. It is dependent on engine load and varying the top rpm can sometimes minimize the transition vibrations.  Exhaust sensor operation - if carboned up - can also make an effect on the engine smoothness at that rpm.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

The two modes of combustion are known  stratified and homogenious mode as I have already hilighted. There is no such thing as "normal" combustion mode and in fact stratified combustion although the ratio of air and fual in much less than 15:1 is not a lean burn combution mode as the fuel burn at 15:1, it's just not mixed with the larger volume of air in the cylinder because of the way the charge is deployed.

Admiral

Muskie,

We impart very elemental and easy to understand answers in layman's terms to our initial customer inquiries as most are not interested in specific technical terms, procedures, or conditions, but desire a basic understanding of how something works.

If they choose to inquire deeper into the technological idiosyncrasies of our products, we are glad to oblige.

Mate

Thanks for your responses guys. Your explanations fit with the motor's behaviour in the 1800-2200 rpm range. When accelerating through that range the rpm may drop as the engine switches modes. When decelerating the rpm may jump when going through 1800-2200 rpm. If I stay in 1800 - 2200 the rpm "bounces" repeatedly.

This dealer is fairly large and says they sell more than 50 of these G2 300's in a season let alone all the other engines. So I'm really left wondering, if this is a well known factor of these engines why did they take so long to diagnose and tell me this was all normal? I'm not expecting you to answer that.....just wondering to myself.