Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Evinrude not manufacturing outboard motors

Hello All

Just heard a rumor that Evinrude will be ceasing outboard motor manufacturing and are cutting executive staff.Has anyone heard this.Also heard that Briggs&Straton were going to take up manufacturing Etec outboard motors.I hope this is a bunch of BS.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Evinrude not manufacturing outboard motors

sounds like typical Internet BS rumor mongering 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I just to talked to a customer service rep at Evinrude this morning. I had a concern we talked about and then I asked that very question to her and she said that is ABSOLUTELY NO TRUE.....  there is no such thing going on. They have had severe furloughts for much of production and tech staff because of Covid-19. They are just now getting some employees back into production. She again wanted to be sure I understood that that rumor is totaly false.

Hope that's all true!!!

@spion97 wrote:

Hello All

Just heard a rumor that Evinrude will be ceasing outboard motor manufacturing and are cutting executive staff.Has anyone heard this.Also heard that Briggs&Straton were going to take up manufacturing Etec outboard motors.I hope this is a bunch of BS.

Highlighted
Captain

Well it’s true. They are discontinuing the manufacturing of g1 and g2 outboards. I just read the press release. So sad again.

Highlighted
Skipper

Highlighted
Skipper

This really SUCKS.
I have had Johnson or Evinrude for the last 49 years. Just got a 225 Etec last year. Like the passing of a old friend.
Highlighted
Mate

well I wonder what will happen to all the E and G owners that have older engines and those that bought new engines recentlt? I would think they would have to support their product..but maybe not.. I may have a valueless product that i cannot maintain, but that would destroy their brand, which I think they would not like to do. But there is no info in the news report. I wish someone from BRP would respond, except for the customer service rep that says it was not going to happen. Anyone have any updates?

Highlighted
Skipper

I have to say this news comes as a complete shock when you consider the legendary Evinrude name and the demand for 2  Stroke Motors that produce more torque that the 4 Strokes. The best case senario at this point may be that BRP sells the brand to another manufacturer and they completely take over from them. 

Highlighted
Captain

BRPs Evinrude division will continue to provide parts, service, and warranty coverage.
Highlighted
Mate

I believe Mercury will be taking over the ETEC