Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

No 7 Yr Warranty if You Get Controls?

My dealer just told me that the new 90 Etec I just bought was not elgible for the 7 year Fall into Savings warranty because I purchased the controls with it.  This just doesn't sound right to me.  Can anybody confirm that?  I would be interested in the logic behind this if it is in fact true.  If it's not, well, then I have other problems...

Skipper

Re: No 7 Yr Warranty if You Get Controls?

Admiral

From August 1 through November 30, 2018,
consumers who purchase eligible loose and package
engines from a participating Evinrude dealer:

7 Years of Coverage

▪ All Evinrude rigging components purchased on the same bill of sale as the engine will be covered under
the same B.E.S.T. Warranty terms as the engine.

If you purchased a special program engine or a dealer demo engine or use the motor commercially, this offer may not apply.

You can send an email with the engine serial number, dealer name,  and your contact info for more information about your specific coverage to http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Blue Water Bill.  I'll send an email with the necessary data and see what they say.  I put a 90 Etec (not an H.O.) on my 2004 Boston Whaler 170.  Although it's about 70 lbs ligher than the old Mercury carborated 4 stroke, I've lost about 7 mph off the top end turning a max of 5600 rpms.  Additionally, the vibration at low rpms is annoying to say the least...should have gone with the 90 H.O.  Oh well, live and learn.  At least, with help from guys like you, I'll get the warranty right.

Captain

You engine will be running a higher oil ratio during a pre programmed "break in" cycle. As I recall, it's for the first 5 hours above 1500 rpm. The engine should idle smoother after that.
What prop are you running and what speed are you getting?
Skipper

It looks like your warranty question will be answered, but I'm wondering about the performance issue.  If your mercury was the same horsepower, I would expect the E-Tec to be faster, not  7 mph slower.  I had a Zodiac Pro 550 open, an 18' RIB with a 90 E-Tec and it did 43mph. I found while testing props, that the motor performed better with the highest pitch that still ran within the recommended RPM range and time to plane was still good.  This was the opposite to what always worked with old style two strokes where they performed best when propped at the high end of the RPM range.

Skipper

The prop is a 13.75 X 15 stainless.  It reaches a maximum rpm of 5600 producing 35 mph with a full tank of gas, two passengers, a cooler of ice, unpainted bottom and one tackle bag weighing about 25 lbs.  I am 185 lbs and my buddy is about 250.  The motor appears to be strong on initial acceleration and pushes 28-30 mph at 45 rpms.  After that, there's not much left.  All the gagues are new and I explored various trim settings at WOT. I don't think there's anything wrong with the motor or the boat.  I simply don't think its the right motor for a 170...well, it's OK but, my dealer recommended this specific motor to me, even talked me out of the H.O.  I suspected I had a problem when he said, " I thought you said it was a classic Montauk".  Trying to change it out for the H.O. now.  Dealer said he'd call me back.  It's been 3 days since we talked.

Admiral

The HO model is noticably more powerful and you will notice a world of difference. Be sure the motor is not mounted too low on the transom. The anti-ventilation plate should be visible on top of the water flow at higher speed when trimmed for best performance.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

BW-Bill said - "Be sure the motor is not mounted too low on the transom. The anti-ventilation plate should be visible on top of the water flow at higher speed when trimmed for best performance."

Bill, if mounted 2-holes too deep .. how many RPMs would that rob off the top end, any prognostications?

Admiral

Too many variables to guess if was that deep. On average about a 100 rpm gain is seen when moving up one hole. All rigs are different.