Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Running at 5100rpms

Hi, I have a new 175 etec with about 3 hours on it. It would run at 5100 rpms fully loaded or empty, does this have anything to do with the break-in period?

Captain

Re: Running at 5100rpms

It does not. 

Admiral

@Fishinglife wrote:

Hi, I have a new 175 etec with about 3 hours on it. It would run at 5100 rpms fully loaded or empty, does this have anything to do with the break-in period?

Break in rarely affects the top rpm of an engine noticeably.  5100 rpm is too low for a top rpm and the wrong prop, engine setup and rigging, or an engine lack of power could be at fault. Talk to your dealer and have a tech do a water test with the diagnostic software and fuel pressure gauges to check the boat and motor over for you. 

What engine model number, what make and model boat, and which propeller is being used?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

MODEL: E175DGXABF

Larson 1850FX

VIPER 14 3/4 x 17

Admiral

[ Edited ]

As long as you know that the rigging and setup are OK, you may want to try out a Viper 15" pitch or other styles of props depending on your type of boating. You are trimming the engine out for best speed, correct?  What speed according to a gps are you getting at the full throttle 5100 rpm?

Many time we find improper setup such as the motor mounted too low as the cause of poor performance. Get with a knowledgeable dealer to check over your rig for any abnormalities.

These  links may be of interest:

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories%5C...

Propping Videos
http://www.evinrude.com/en-gb/videos?idVideo=PLA5B9DD06D6D30F05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtA8zwUy9Hs

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

43 mph with 3 people or just myself?? It didn’t seem to matter, that’s why I was thinking it had something to do with the break-in. Also this thing comes out of the hole faster than any other boat I’ve been in. My fishing partner has a 620 ranger with 250 optimax XS pro and this boat will go on plane faster. 

Admiral

With no boats around in smooth water and with someone experienced at the helm, run the boat at a fast cruising speed, trimmed for best speed, and observe the anti-ventilation plate - mistakenly called a cavitation plate. It should be visible on top of the water, not underwater. The motor may be raised up one or two holes at a time if the plate is too low in the water.

Captain

Also your dealer should do a fuel system vacuum test and run the boat at wide open throttle with a piece of clear tubing in the fuel line to check for air bubbles in the fuel. And check throttle cable adjustment.
Captain

Motor height is important, but you're not going to get 600 RPMs from raising it even 3 inches. Also, I told my dealer it was too low, but their comment was more in line with the boat manufacturer's setup than Evinrude's recommendation and they would not move it as part of initial delivery. I had to pay $110 (1 hour of labor) to have it raised 2 holes to it's max position. I gained 200 RPMs, and a small efficiency gain in MPG. I took 2 videos before and after the lift.

Before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtgIutRhltA

After: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYIYEc5LGjs
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Highlighted
Admiral

It is a shame that your dealer and the boat manufacturer would not cover the expense to have the motor positioned correctly. Thank you for those videos. A proper video is worth 1000 words.