Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Temp code 59 error...

Has anyone experienced an error message reading "Engine failed to attain proper operating temperature - Port".  Message error on chartplooter read "Code 59 low temperature fault. EMM Instance 1".  I also got one for the starboard engine.  Engines have less than 5 hours on them.  Was told it was the water temp was low... it was 65 degrees in Charleston!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Temp code 59 error...

The motor is not warming up properly which could be due to  debris or faulty thermostats or a sticking pressure relief valve. Somewhere cooling water is not being regulated by the thermostats at idle and/or the pressure valve is not sealing at low speed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks...several people, including the dealer, suggested it may be associated with the low water temp... which was 62 here in Charleston today.  Seems like the warning wouldn't go off on such a normal temp... not like its below 40.  Im not sure... engines have less then 5 hours on them.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Do you have a display that shows engine temperature or has your dealer checked out which cylinderhead may have triggered the code using a laptop?

What model number engines?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I will look into more detail when the wx clears here in Charleston.  The dealer has not got back with me yet, and feels it is a water temperature warning becasue of the spring bay water temp.  I'm not sure of that... it's not like I'm in Alaska or the water is THAT cold, but perhaps Evinrude has the error code/warning set relatively high.  Just want to ensure I wont damage the engines, 7 year warranty of not!

Highlighted
Captain

Code 59 indicates that the engine temperature is below 122F below 1000 rpm after 10 minutes of run time. Most likely cause is thermostats leaking. This could cause some carbon build up if you are idiling or trolling for long periods of time. Won't hurt anything if your engine temp comes up to normal when running.