Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Twin 300hp Etec g2's

Recently purchased 2 300 hp Etec G2's from Kitsap Marina Port Orchard, Washington. They also did the installation on my Boston Whaler 28 Outrage. The total cost was $46,317.00. Test drive of the engines in calm bay water were successful. The boat was returned to its home port at Newport, Oregon. The boat is used only for ocean fishing. Anywhere from moderate seas to rough seas the engines will not hold RPM. They constantly modulate approx. 300 RPM up or down. This causes the need to be continuely on the throttles. It's almost an impossible situation when your fishing 25 to 35 miles off shore.

I tried to contact Kitsap Marina but they refuse to respond. I assume their position is I am from out of town and after all they have been paid in full.  When contacting Evinrude Support we end up talking to a lady who has no technical knowledge. She continues to put me on hold while apparently she talks to a technical person. In the end her response is classic "that's never happened before".  I am constantly reminded by my friends who all own Yamaha that I got what I deserved. "No service from Evinrude" I suggest to all that you should not consider a 300hp g2 for ocean fishing at least off the Oregon or Washington coast unless they fix the problem. If anyone has any experience with this problem I would appreciate the contact.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Twin 300hp Etec g2's

[ Edited ]

@Outrage wrote:

Recently purchased 2 300 hp Etec G2's from Kitsap Marina Port Orchard, Washington.

I am constantly reminded by my friends who all own Yamaha that I got what I deserved. "No service from Evinrude"

Your Yamaha friends are incorrect, you have gotten  "No service from from  Kitsap Marine." Evinrude is here  to help you.

From your description, my guess it that either the wrong style props are installed or that the motors may be mounted too high and the props are slightly ventilating which causes the rpm changes. It may be a simple as installing the correct RX-4 propellers which are great for holding power. There is also a possibility that a fuel delivery problem  is causing a slight surging condition. A trained technician will have to evaluate your engines and their installation first.

Checking the FIND A DEALER  tab on www.evinrude.com I find a dealer 17 miles from you. Alsea Bay Power Products.

Please send an email with the engine serial numbers to  brp.care@brp.com and a brief history like what you have  written here. I assure you that your situation will be looked into.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Before we ever installed the new motors we installed Racor filters with glass bulbs. There has never been any contamination in our fuel. There are separate  Racor systems for each engine. As far as cavitation Kitsap Marine recommended the shaft size and the new motors have the same size shafts as the old Yamaha 250 2 strokes. We never had a problem with cavitation with the Yamahas. The boat was tested to full RPM with the new props. I am reminded that I watched all of the utube videos on these engines. The problem is all test were done in Florida in relative calm waters and sometimes on pontoon boats.

this is no a cavitation problem I think this is a fly by wire problem. I remind everyone what type of service you get from Evinrude when you call support so I will not repeat.

Highlighted
Mate

On another note we have the 4 blade props.

Highlighted
Mate

On another note our local Evinrude dealer who bid our installation was about $15,000 higher then Kitsap Marine. I suggest that they are not interested in helping us. The local dealer 17 miles south of us is a Still dealer who primarily sells chain saws, leaf blowers and hedge cutters. They do small engine repair. They do service on small outboards but have never serviced a G2 engine. My best guess that they have never even seen one. So much for local service.
Highlighted
Mate

I have the 300hp G2 and I had a similar thing in very steep heavy seas downwind. I have the RX4 prop. If the rpm is changing it's probably because the load is changing. In my case, the engine was slightly too high and the props were cavitating slightly when the boat tilted down the wave. The solution is to try dropping the engine down a notch. If you want the ultimate in tunability, you can look into a hydraulic jackplate to be able to tune while running. The problem is not the engine, the problem is your setup still needs tuning which is common with all engines.
Highlighted
Mate

I wouldnt buy another evinrude if even it was given to me, The experience i had with my 2012 300hp has been a night nare, replaced 6 injectors which took up to 2 weeks to have it repaired for each of them!!!! and now i lost one of my pistons which eveinrude can give me an answer on if they are going to help.The engine cost 3200$ installed on my boat and its beeen in the shop more then it was out,293 hrs that means that i only had 24 days of service since i had it. I hope you have better lock then i did. They dont mind taking ur money, and the service suck!!!

Highlighted
Admiral

Hello, Todd,

I'm very sorry to hear that your Evinrude has not been up to your expectations and I would be upset too  if that situation happened to my pride and joy.  Please send an email to  brp.care@brp.com  with the engine serial number and a bried history of your experiences with it so that they can investigate. Thank you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.