Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Water separating fuel filter for a 115 ETEC

My older boat does not have a water / fuel water separator in the fuel system and I am thinking about installing one. There are some filter ratings I am not sure of and would appreciate some advice. I have a built in 27 gallon fuel tank so I will have to mount the separator somehow in the splash well. If anyone has a favorite filter brand I would appreciate hearing which one you like and why.

The filters are rated at 2, 10 or 30 microns, do all of those filter out water and if so, why the different sizes?

The filters are also rated at different GPH (Gallons per Hour) 25, 30, 60, 90, 120, etc... I assume this must be at least the maximum fuel flow rate of the engine at WOT. What is the GPH fuel flow rate of my 115?

Thank you

Admiral

Re: Water separating fuel filter for a 115 ETEC

[ Edited ]

The #174176  Evinrude fuel-water separator kit provides the filtering and capacity that your motor requires and is the recommended choice. The V4 and V6 E-TEC engines already have a 10 micron filter on the engine to catch anything that might get past the boat filter.

There are other makes of filter kits that do well also, it is best to follow your dealer's recommendation if you do not use the Evinrude brand.  You want a filter that has a flow rate of about 60 gph to avoid a fuel restriction as the filter fills up with debris even though your engine consumes a good deal less than 1/4 of that flow.

2 micron is way too small for an outboard motor and is not recommended by any outboard motor manufacturer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hi Bill,

I would like to know if the new E-TEC G2 300 has a internal fuel-water separator kit or I need to install one on my fuel system.

Thanks

Admiral

HI,

The nice thing about this website is that you do not have to post the same question multiple times to receive an answer.

Refer to our response in your other inquiry.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I am sorry. I thought this was not the right place for the post, so I launched a new post.

Thank you