Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

What Year and Model is my Evinrude Engine

I have a motor that seems to be an Evinrude 25 HP. The name plate is missing. The number on the welch plug is 880852. Can you tell me the year and model?

Thanks,

Phil

Highlighted
Mate

Re: What Year and Model is my Evinrude Engine

I'd like to correct my message,  attached. I just realized there is another character on the welch plug. There is an M above the digits, so the full number is M 880852.

I hope you can help with year and model.

Thanks again.

Phil

Highlighted
Admiral

@foxontherun wrote:

I'd like to correct my message,  attached. I just realized there is another character on the welch plug. There is an M above the digits, so the full number is M 880852.

I hope you can help with year and model.

Thanks again.

Phil

Usually there are more digits in a serial number and yours does not come up, but your motor may be very old.

How about some clear in focus pictures of the motor cover decals, a whole side shot of the outboard, and good images of the back, front, both sides and the top of the powerhead

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Forwarding photos

The owner of the shop who sold me this engine said he had put it together from parts.

He said he didn’t know the year but he thought it was from the 1990s.

He said be careful about using appearance to determine the model/year… he had several cowlings and didn’t know which one he was going to use.

Thanks for your help

Phil

DSC00003_edited-2.jpgDSC00001_edited-2.jpgDSC00002_edited-2.jpgDSC00003_edited-2.jpgDSC00004_edited-3.jpgDSC00005_edited-2.jpgDSC00007_edited-2.jpgDSC00009_edited-5.jpgDSC00005_edited-2.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

Because the dealer said he built the motor out of parts of other motors, there is no year or model number to reference. Luckily the 25 of that series did not change much over the years so all the available maintenance items are pretty much the same.

In the industry we call those types of engines Frankenstein motors or "pieces-parts" motors.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.