Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

'14 135 HO prop issues

I recently purchased a Tran Cat SVT18 with the 135 H.O.  I have tried several props and cannot get a good combination of hole shot, WOT RPM and top speed.  With a 15"x15" moderately cupped, it will only get 4900rpm.  Hole shot is reasonable.  A 14" x 15" gets 5300rpm and top speed of 36 but hole shot is not that good.  A 14" x 14 1/2" gets 5300rpm but only gets 32mph at WOT,  Hole shot is about the same as the 14" x 15".  With the 14" props, you have to really feather the throttle to keep the prop from blowing out.  All props are 3-blade SS with moderate cupping.  The dealer put a 4-blade on it and it had a horrible hole shot.  I have had a total of 5 different props on the motor.  Motor is mounted in highest mounting Position (bottom hole) and it has a Bob's jack plate.  I'm about to wear the prop guy out.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: '14 135 HO prop issues

We need exact manufacturer and model names of each of the props that you tried. We can only help you here with Evinrude brand propellers.

Have you determined that the engine height is correct - the anti-ventilation plate visible when at normal cruising configuration?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I don't know what the first 2 props were but the last 3 have all been Power Tech.  I guess I'll keep working with the prop guy.

Thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

In the Evinrude family  of propellers, try the 17" Viper and the 15" Rebel then let us know the speed and rpm that your engine acieives.  Make sure the height is correct first.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for the reply.  I will give the prop guy one more chance since I have already paid him.  If it still does't work I will go the Viper and Rebel route. Our needs in Texas are so different from other areas of the country.  With all the cats and tunnel hulls and the need to get up in extremely shallow water, the props get really strange in design.  Cupping and very thick blades to have a good holeshot and to be able to repeatedly churn thru sand and mud.

Highlighted
Skipper

I finally got a prop that performs properly.  It is a Turbo OSI 14 1/4 x 15.  Max rpm is 5600 and top speed is 44 mph.  After changing the prop, I am now getting overheat alarm after running 5-10 minutes.  Don't know if it is related to prop change.

Highlighted
Admiral

If the overheating occurs at high speed, chances are the water flow ahead of the gearcase is disturbed and the engine is ingesting aerated water which will not cool the motor adequately.

A trained tech can find out if that is the case by noting the EMM temperatures and observing the water outlet flow from the EMM with a clear hose.

Highlighted
Captain

Be sure your tach is accurate and the motor height is correct. If you don't get the height correct you are fighting a loosing battle. That can also have something to do with your overheat issue and like Bluewater Bill stated, let us know what you have tried. I run a pair of the 135 Ho's and could not be more pleased. They are stronger than the other engines on the market in the 150 and some of the 175's. people cannot beleive how much torque these things have and the fuel mileage is better than ANY four banger I have compaired them to. Like I said, I'm so pleased I'm getting ready to sell these and repower with another pair. Only thing I can think of that might be better is a pair of the G2's if and when we ever get those in the lower Hp ranges. tight lines to all, be safe and have a GREAT CHRISTmas.