Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

150 ETEC

Well, shes back in the shop, a failed tilt solenoid AGAIN. This is the third one replaced now. Same thing ,will power up but not down. Not happy hanging out the back of the boat 150 ks off Townsville, Australia with a screwdriver trying to lower the motor. Total engine hours 445. Wrote to you before Barnacle Bill, anyone else had this trouble. At $400 A TIME THIS IS A JOKE.Anyone else had this trouble. Evinrude technicians are dumfounded as to why.

Admiral

Re: 150 ETEC

Have any of the techs taken apart the faulty relay assembly to investigate what went wrong?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

In some cases the trim switch on the engine will get water in it and cause it to short (stick) in the down position, this will shorten the life of the down side if the tilt/trim relay. This can be caused by fittings or transducers on the transom causing water to spray on the engine.
I spent two weeks trying to diagnose a boat who's battery would go dead overnight sometimes but not always. I finally figured out that on nights when the humidity got high enough the motor would stay stuck in down trim. When I got to work in the mornings the sun was up and the switch would not stick.
Captain

Can i mail the relay solenoid to you to get it investigated.?

Admiral

@OLEGIRL wrote:

Can i mail the relay solenoid to you to get it investigated.?

I'm not familiar how things are in Australia with BRP Evinrude there but in the US any replacement parts come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty. You may want to contact Evinrude After Sales in AU.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Finally onto something. A year ago, the trim switch on the motor was replaced as it failed and yes there was a transducer spraying water. Has since been removed. Thank you.