Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

150 hp HO gen2 vs regular 150

Hi,

What's the difference between 150 ho and regular 150 ?? The bore , stroke seem the same....

I have the choice for my new boat...

Ty
Skipper

Re: 150 hp HO gen2 vs regular 150

Per SAE ratings, an engine maker can put out an engine of X-labeled horsepower +/- 10 percent. As they come off the line, most outputs are around the rated HP or that which the label states.

Engines putting out HP well over the top of the range are called 'boomers' in the trade. IIRC the HOs models put out 10% more HP than labeled, so the 150HO is most probably a 165HP motor. 

Skipper

Ok so the HO model should be around 165 and regular 150 at 150 hp or the regular is at 165 hp too?
Skipper

I'd say the std 150 could be 145 to 155 ... 

My "boomer" experience came from jet turbines, where boomers went to the XXX fleet ...

Sorry, can't tell you, I'd have to kill you Smiley Happy !

Admiral

The difference in power between the models is noticeable on faster boats, plus the 20" HO version gets the high speed  performance gearcase.  It is the engine tuning through the firmware inside the EMM that is responsible for the increased power.

It is the organization called ICOMIA that specifies how outboard propshaft power output is measured and rated with the 10% variance.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

OOPS!  Disregard my comment about the high performance gearcase, I was thinking of the G1 models.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok tyvm. And another question: when the talk about rigging the motor to 3rd hole, that's mean third hole from the top ? Top hole, second hole, put the bolt in the third hole ?
Skipper

Saw that on evinrude report regarding the Larson 1850 with the 150hp ... hole #3. That's the boat i bought with the 150. Just gonna check for the proper prop
Captain

The top hole is #1 so 3rd hole down
Highlighted
Skipper

Given = It is the organization called ICOMIA that specifies how outboard propshaft power output is measured and rated ...

Interesting, as it was an Evinrude 150 HO youtube I was watching that plastered the SAEbanner across the screen when it touted the higher HP.