Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

150 leaking oil

Im new to the boards and recently re powered with a 150 hp etch. Have about 11 hrs on it and noticed a little oil leaking out from the front of the motor and down onto the bracket.  Any DIY things to look at or is it off to the shop

Admiral

Re: 150 leaking oil

It may only be from the extra oil for the  few hours and combined with slow speed running. Wipe it up and next time out run a while at high speed to "suck up" any excess that may have accumulated. Chances are it will stop.

If not, then have  a dealer check it out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Ok thx, yes th last 4-5times that I've been out have been  long no wake zones.then a 3 min ride to the fishing grounds, so it here has been a lot of idle speeds. Before the fish moved it was a 15-20 min full tilt ride to the fish....thanks

Admiral

Until you run the motor for about 5 hours above 2500 rpm, it will consume extra oil automatically. Run the boat as hard as you can, when you can.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: Etec 150 leaking oil

I have a 1 year old Etec 150. Ive been to the dealer and a mechanic several times to stop the 2 cycle oil leak. The dealer said the airbox cracks and leaks a little oil so we could just keep bringing it back until the waranty runs out to have it corrected each time, but it is no big deal.  The last visit I went to and evenrude approved mechanic. He said the oil has leaked all over the inside of the engine. He said I have 40 hours on it. He said the factory is having him try many things. Its been with him for 2 weeks now. 

The factory rep said the engine readout showed a lot of hours at idle which could cause the problem. I have a kicker and almost never idle the 150. Even if i did, is Evinrude saying their engine is so poorly designed it wont idle for extended periods for trolling? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

The factory rep said the engine starts were way too many for this many hours. It started first try every time except the last time I was out. Last time I was out it was under freezing for the first time at 26 degrees. The dealer told me this engine would start in the cold no problem. It didn't. I had to cycle it maybe 20 times to get it to fire. The oil leak problem occured long before this. My splash pan had streaks of oil leak before I launched. Implying this multii attempt to start on the last run is the problem isn't correct.   ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

I have been an evinrude fan for 50 years. What happens in the next week is going to make me go away happy or sad. .