Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

1952-1954 3hp two stroke ignition problems

Hello everyone I am working on a 1954-1952 3hp evinrude and ive encountered a few problems that I was hoping i could get some answers to or any information at all about the ignition sytem would be helpful.

Im getting spark to only one plug. Ive taken out the magnetos and I think they are okay because they have about 0.9 ohms of resistance. Everything under the flywheel looks to have been replaced or relativly new.

I read on another website that when the notch on the flywheel lines up with the two lines on the plate, the points are supposed to open, making it spark. But neither point is open when its lined up.

Im not an expert on using multimeters, and im not sure if the timing is correct. Can anybody enlighten me so I can be on the water by spring time?? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 1952-1954 3hp two stroke ignition problems

If you want to learn how the breaker point type ignition system works, Google it. If you have spark on one cylinder and not the other, swap parts between the two systems one at a time until the spark comes back to the faulty side.

My personal method on these old engines is to replace coils, points and condensers to eliminate no spark conditions. Remember, these are tune up items and should be replaced/adjusted yearly.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Do not forget to check the ignition wire condition and sparkplug caps for breaks, corrosion, or shorting to the magplate under the metal clamps.

Check the flywheel magnets for about equal strength. Hold a screwdriver with thumb and finger  and it should attract it from about 3/4" - 1" away

You can order a factory service manual from www.outboardbooks.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Got it running thanks guys!

Highlighted
Admiral

What did you find that was the problem?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.