Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

1974ish 85HP Starflite

I recently bought a project boat, but it's so old I've had some issues identifying exactly what year it is. I'm not super mechanically inclined, so I'd like to get a service manual to guide me. I took it to the mechanic, and he cleaned out the carbs and replaced the water pump because the old one wasn't pushing enough through to properly cool the motor. He also told me that we should replace the wires to the battery because the current wires don't carry enough current to start the motor. He said when he used his 1 gauge wire, it cranked right up. The guy I bought it from said he did the electrical, so I guess it's likely he simply used to thin of wire in an effort to cut cost. The boat hasn't been registered in 6 years, so it's likely that was the last time it was on the water. So in summation, I'd like to know what year the motor is, as well as what gauge of battery wires I should be utilizing. My best guess right now is that it's anywhere from 1973-1977. Thanks in advance. boat motor 1.jpg IMG-1273.JPGboat motor 1.jpg

Admiral

Re: 1974ish 85HP Starflite

Please look along the transom brackets and swivel brackets of the motor for a plate that has the model number and serial number on it. If there is no plate, look on the motor powerhead for a 1" silver disk that will have numbers stamped on it.

If all fails, post well focused pictures of the motor with the cover off, front, back, and sides

We will do what we can to narrow down the year. Luckily most maintenance parts have not changed much from the '73 through 76 model years on an 85.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.