Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

1996 200hp misfire

New to me motor ran rough, so spark plugs were replaced. Ran fine for a short time, reaching 5500 rpm on probably inaccurate dash gauge, then started misfiring and running rough. Compression is 105+/- on all six cylinders. I decarbed with Seafoam sprayed through the carbs and the motor ran fine for about 1/2 hour at 4000 rpms. Then it started to miss again, surging and running rough at all speeds. I just used OMC tuner spray, but haven't gone back out to try the motor because of weather. If it still gives me trouble, where should I be looking? It's puzzling that the motor ran fine for a while and then started to act up. I haven't  checked head temps with an IR gun, but the dash gauge was centered . Can a crankcase drain system malfunction cause this? 

Admiral

Re: 1996 200hp misfire

What model number engine and what number sparkplugs?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Sorry, not at the boat but I'll look up the model number. J200cx or tx  Ocean Pro. Plugs are ql77jc4 Champion gapped to .030.

Admiral

We need the exact model number to be sure of what you have but a 1996 200 HP requires Champion QL78YC4 plugs gapped to .030"

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Motor is model #J200TXEVA, serial #G04241326.  QL77JCY are the plugs in it, so gues I better change them. Yesterday we were able to go out and run at various speeds. The rpms were smooth and steady 3000 and up, so it looks like the second can of Engine Tuner did the trick for the high speed problem.
Maybe I should start a different topic, but this is a similar problem. When decelerating down through the 3000 to 2000 rpm range, the motor shudders quite a bit, like a bad misfire. Then it will run at the 2000 rpm range a bit roughly. I'm hoping some carburetor cleaning and adjustment will help the idle and slow speed quality, but I don't know what that shudder/misfire might be caused by. Any thoughts?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The letter V is probably a letter U which makes the motor a 1997 model (EU)

Obtain the correct service manual. Synchronizing the carbs and throttle linkage and timing, proper idle adjustment, and idle timing, cleaning the recirculation system hoses, valves, and fittings all contribute to a smoother running motor, both accelerating and decelerating.  There may a slightly noticeable roughness in the 1400-2000 rpm range as the carbs transition from the idle jetting to the mid-range and high-speed jetting which is normal. For best results prop the motor to about 5800 rpm.

Get a factory service manual before adjusting and changing things.

Highlighted
Captain

Will do. I have the Clymer's, but will get the real thing. Thanks