Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1997 Evinrude 150 HP FICHT Problem

I have a 1997 150 HP Evinrude FICHT outboard. Model E150IXEUC.  It starts up and runs perfect until it gets up to about 1800 rpm. Then i cuts out and runs poorly . This is the same as the condition that the S.L.O.W. warning system causes when there is one of a number of failures. The dash mounted Systems Check engine Monitor is not showing a warning light or an alarm signaling a problem. When i do the system self-test by turning on the key to on position , it beeps and all four lights come on and off as they should. When i initially checked the system for codes, it had four codes stored. Some or all of these codes may have been old because this it the first time i have ever checked for codes. It showed codes 35, 22, 47,49.

I manually erased the codes and even after taking the boat out for several test rides , i never have got another code stored. I decided to purchase the diagnostic software for my laptop from Power Sports Diagnostics. With the diagnostic software on my laptop and hooked up to the engine, i get no faults showing under the Faults section of the software ,whether the engine is running or just the key on.

Although , looking at the Engine Monitoring section , when the engine running , it shows OIL PRESSURE,FAULT.  With just the key in ON position ( engine not running) , it shows OIL PRESSURE,OK.

So it appeared to me that i have an oil pressure problem.  I checked the oil pressure . My engine doesn't seen to have an oil pressure test port as shown in the service manual. So i checked the pressure by teeing into the oil line going from the oil pump to the oil injector. This was the best idea i came  up with for checking the pressure. If anyone knows anything about this , i would really like to know. Anyway , the oil pressure reads 18psi. The manual says between 5psi and 20psi. I then replaced the oil pressure switch. At this time i put the Systems Check into Service Mode , by leaving the key on, after the self-test is finished with engine not running. In service mode, i  then tested the Oil Pressure switch circuit , by disconnecting the oil pressure switch wire and grounding it. I did not get any lights coming on at the dash mounted warning system . This tells me that there is an issue with the oil pressure switch circuit. There should be a warning light and alarm activated when engine is running . Also, code 35 (one of the initial codes it had stored ) is Oil Pressure Loss, Switch/Circuit Malfunction. I hope i dont need a new ECU.

If anyone has any thoughts on this , i would really appreciate it. thanks

Captain

Re: 1997 Evinrude 150 HP FICHT Problem

[ Edited ]

Ground the tan/yellow wire to gauge at system check connector on engine. 6 pin connector. Leave connector connected and just ground tan/yellow wire.

If no-oil warning now works on gauge: problem is at the engine.

If tan/white wire from oil pressure switch to ECU is OK, then likely faulty ECU.

Captain

Edited post.

Skipper

I grounded the tan/yellow wire at system check connector. Got the no-oil light on gauge.

I checked the tan/white wire from oil pressure switch to ECU for continuity . It has continuity. 

Looks like  i need a new ECU. 

Is there anything technical to changing out the ECU , other than unplugging the wires and unbolting ? 

Would you recommend a good parts source for new ECU other than dealership ? or stick with dealership ? 

Do you think checking the oil pressure the way i did ( teeing into the oil line,  between the  oil pump and the oil injector) is the best way to test ?, considering i don't have an oil maintenance valve on the oil pump as shown in manual.

thank you very much !

this was a big help

Captain

I agree, the ECU seem like the culprit. If you are in the US, (WA here is Western Australia) there are a few shops that repairs Ficht ECUs. 

Do a search here and Bluewater Bill have listed them numerous times.

The way you checked oil pressure seem fine to me, as long all is back to standard now.

Admiral

FICHT ECU & EMM Repair
http://www.cdielectronics.com/ficht/
marinecomputersupply.com
dfitechnologies.com
http://fichtemmrepair.com/#home

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the ECU repair recommendations !
Captain

I have dealt with both Eric and DFI. Eric will talk you through the diagnosis over the phone and he really knows these engines. I had a no start condition that turned out to be an EMM issue but Eric told me how to prove that before I sent him the EMM. He fixed it in a timely fashion too. 

DFI was okay, I had a no start issue when I first bought the boat and sent them my EMM. They told me there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back for $35 handling charge. DFI had no other suggestions about what my issue might be. It runed out engine wasn't cranking fast enough.  

Skipper

When you say you have dealt with Eric , is he the guy at Marine Computer Supply ?

Admiral

Eric started DFI many years ago and did well. He sold it to his brother and went on to other things. Years later he got back into the ECU and EMM repair business by opening up Marine Computer Supply.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.