Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1997 Johnson 150 vro removal

How would I go about removing the vro system so I can premix my own fuel/oil

Admiral

Re: 1997 Johnson 150 vro removal

If you decide to remove the Oil Metering System (your engine has the OMS pump, not the VRO pump though they look similar), mix the correct amount of oil in your gas tank and run the motor to circulate the 50:1 mix before removing the OMS.

Remove the oil line at the pump and seal off the oil hose opening and the nipple on the OMS pump. Disconnect the 4-wire connector from the pump wiring and the two wire connector from the oil tank. Tape up the wiring connections to keep water and dirt out of them.

Now do not forget to add oil each time you add fuel. Many dealers will tell you that sometimes the owner or the boat operator forgets the oil and ruins the motor when they could have left the pump operational and still had a great running engine.

To learn more about the VRO-OMS pumps, go to:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.