Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

1998 Evinrude 150 FICHT Fuel filter question

I believe I ran my motor out of gas...I refilled but it will only run for a few seconds and then cut right off.  does this sound like a fuel filter issue, vacuum, or some other problem and what are your suggestions.

Im not a motor person but would love to changes the fuel filter(s), where are they located?

Thanks!

Admiral

Re: 1998 Evinrude 150 FICHT Fuel filter question

On a '98 FICHT, the engine mounted fuel filter is on the aft part of the engine block, port side.

What probably happened is that air got into the fuel injectors when it ran out of gas, and now the system has to expell all the air out and refill with gasoline.

Squeeze the primer ball until hard and hold pressure on it as someone turns the key on for 10 seconds at a time so the electric fuel pump can bleed off the air in the lines. After doing that several times, about 5, then try to start the motor. It still may takes some pops and bangs until the injectors themselves have the air bled out of them.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

[ Edited ]

Continuing on the fuel filter question.

I just bought a new filter P/N 0438645 for my, new to me,1998 150 FICHT. 

The filter currently on the engine has a cable connected tot the bottom of the filter, water alarm i guess.

The new filter has no plug or screw to fit the cable under ?

Does the fitting from the old filter unscrew and just move it to the new filter ?

Admiral

If your new filter has a pipe plug on the bottom of it, just remove and screw in the plastic fitting from the old filter, then connect the wire to it.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

There is a small hole in the bottom of the filter so ill try and fit it there.

Thanks.

Mate

Thanks Bill

Yes the new filter had a plug screwed in the place where the water alarm comes. Just removed the plug, replced it with the alarm transducer from the old filter and im good to go again. Must say it runs smoother and starts better. I dont know when the old filter was last changed and it looked dirty inside, so very comforting to have a new filter on now.

Admiral

It's good to hear that the engine is working for you.

Mate

I’m curious of where the fuel filter is also I cannot find it for the life of me
Captain

On my 115HP Ficht it was a white screw in filter, looked like a oil filter on a car. 150 could be different perhaps.

Highlighted
Admiral

On a '97 and '98 FICHT the spin on fuel filter was on the port aft side of the motor.  In later years it was behind the air silencer.

What is your engine model number, we can then know exactly what motor it is?