Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2000 225 Ficht

I've been building/repowering a 2003 Nitro 288 Fish & Ski for resale.  I've recently experienced some stalling issues and hve discovered multiple sensor faults, specifically the water temp., air temp. and shift interrupt sensors.  The sensors all fail specific guidelines and test parameters.  I'm tired of all the retoric about EMM failures and am wondering what exactly these "rebuilders" actually do to dumb the computer down to tolerate all the erratic inputs that cause the failures.  Is there some type of filter that can be applied?  I don't trust the advice they give, seems like a lot of scammers.  The board on this unit is not damaged and has not seen many hours of operation since "rebuilt" last.  

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2000 225 Ficht

EMM rebuilder companies are not associated with or any part of Evinrude Outboards and thus we do not comment.

A number of sensor faults can often be a problem with the 5 volt reference voltage of a sensor or an electric fuel pump that draws an excessive amount of current.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Ok, good advice.  I'll check the fuel pump amp draw.  Where is the reference voltage measured?  The water temperature, air temperature, and shift interrupt switch were all out of tolerance.

Highlighted
Skipper

What's the spec for fuel pump current draw?

Highlighted
Admiral

@TommyT wrote:

What's the spec for fuel pump current draw?

There is no published current draw for the electric pump but its wiring is protected by a  10 amp fuse so it would have to be pretty much less than that.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for that, so the motor windings are ohming out at 3 & draawing .08 amps which seems aok to me.

So now that I have the temp. sensors for air & water in place that work correctly the three lights from the left do not remain lit and lock out the sytem but, I am having nagging trouble with this 2000 225 Ficht that I used to repower my Nitro 288 Sport.  She's a beauty of a project, but currently likes to stall suddenly and now I can't get her to start.  The motor cranks, but "skips" flashes the three lights left to right simultaneously.  I have replaced the temp. sensor for air and water due to faulty ohm values when temp. change testing from cold to boiling point & the shift interrupt switch due to sticking.  The starter draws down to 7.6 to 8.4 volts yesterday, I'm suspicious that this is too low to get her to fire the plugs/activate injectors.  Anybody have knowledge here?

The cables are new, properly gauged from a pair of deep cycle batteries in parralell to power the starting circuit.  I'm thinking I will try to isolate the starter motor for testing.  The crank can be spun by hand by turning the flywheel.

Highlighted
Admiral

If you are talking about seeing 3 of the 4 LEDs illuminated on your Tach or SystemCheck gauge - LOW OIL remains off -  then you definitely have an internal problem with the EMM and should get it repaired. It may only be an intermittent problem at the moment, but could leave your stranded. 

The EMM repair shops usually warrant their repairs for a year and are familiar with the 3-light salute.

Highlighted
Skipper

Ok, but I'll follow my gut and test all the starter components first, the EMM was "rebuilt" in May 2009, the motor was retired from service due to a hull related issue shortly therafter until I aquired it late in 2015.  The motor was not rigged until 2018 and it has seen very few hours of operation and the "three light salute" never presented until this year.  

Thanks for your feedback, I'll report back later on.

Highlighted
Skipper

So the starter solenoid failed due to high resistance through the "-" terminal, which I assume provides feedback to the EMM for valtage readings, the main contacts are fine.  I'll be replacing it soon.  The starter itself was causing a voltage drop and inconsistent freee wheeling amp draw.  Upon disassembly I discovered a fractured and disintegrating magnet inside the starter housing.  The armature, brushes and other compnents are ok, just dirty from the shredding of the magnet fragment which was floating in the case and grinding against the armature on the lower end of the housing.  I'll be rebuilding this soon and report back.  

Hopefully this will be the last external fault to rule out a failed EMM.  I'll report back next week after parts are in available and in place.

Highlighted
Admiral

@TommyT wrote:

Upon disassembly I discovered a fractured and disintegrating magnet inside the starter housing.  The armature, brushes and other compnents are ok, just dirty from the shredding of the magnet fragment which was floating in the case and grinding against the armature on the lower end of the housing. 

Did someone hammer on the starter housing?