Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2001 200hp Ficht RAM Questions

**Sorry for the lengthy post and appolgize in advance for the lack of knowledge**

I recently purchased a boat from a friend for an incredibly low price. The boat has a 2001 200hp RAM inject FICHT engine, serial number 4943023 with a recently rebuilt EMM with 411 hours on it. I believe this engine is the OMC version and not the Bombardier one, unfortunately. The previous owner did have his fair share of problems and now this is the second EMM that has been replaced, along with various other work that a 19 year old engine requires. Unfortunately, I am unable to contact the previous mechanic and have no idea what other recent repairs were done. I brought the boat up to NY in December and had it winterized right away, so have not actually used the boat as of yet. I would like to know if you could help me with some advice or tips on trying to keep this engine running, given all of the issues these engines have. Some questions I have are listed below but I am sure everone could provide much more insight!

1. Should I be running xd-50 or xd-100 oil? not sure what has been used so far or how much is left but should I transition into either xd-50 or xd-100?

2. From what I have read, these engines have a lot of issues with the VST, any advice on what I can do to prevent problems with this?

3. Should I be flushing with salt away to help decrease salt crystallization and therefore reduce the chance of decreased water flow to the EMM?

4. Any recommendation on spark plugs? I know they need to be indexed properly which I would have to have the mechanic do, if needed.

5. Do you recommend I use any Evinrude Engine Tuner?

6. I saw in one of the posts the following was recommend, is this something I should look into?

"There is also a coneshaped filter inside the fuel return line. It is best to replace it using one from a 2012 or later E-TEC engine. Also flow test the water cooling passageway to be sure there are no restrictions or debris buildup. 7. Any specific in line fuel filter you recommend?

I plan on putting in a Racor fuel water separator as I hear these are better than the cheaper alternative which is on the boat now"

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2001 200hp Ficht RAM Questions

First things first, what is the complete model number of the motor as listed on the serial number tag?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The only information that I have readily available is as follows:

Model Spec. E200FCXSIF

Serial Number: 4943023

I also have the EMM serial number but I dont think that would be of use.

Highlighted
Admiral

Be sure to use the model number E200FCXSIF  each time when ordering parts or asking technical questions.

Go to www.outboardbooks.com and order a 200 hp 2000 model year service manual. They did not make a manual for 2001 models as the former OMC was put out of business in December of 2000 by its then new owners and all production stopped.  Bombardier won the Federal bankruptcy auction and took over  in Feb. of 2001 and redesigned the motors for a 2002 production run.

There was a pamphlet released just before shutdown that showed the minor changes for 2001 over the previous 2000 models. Unfortunately some parts are no long available for your motor but there are some companies that can rebuild or repair certain unavailable items.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Where could I find this pamphlet? Is it of any use?

Highlighted
Captain

The part number is 0787132, but NLA from BRP. Maybe you could copy one from your dealer?