Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2002 evanrude 225 ficht electrical issue random starts

replaced emm and power distribution panel with fuses. Fuel pump came on and motor turned over 3 times started to fire but woulnt start then it wouldn't do anything. I found a loose connection on the Pdp that made the trim start moving on its own. Used dielectric grease on that got good connection The relays and fuses in the pdp all are good. The 2relays on the other side of motor feel hotter than usual. Dielectric in those fittings also. Anything else I can try. Jumping the solenoid motor turns as it should so batteries cables ect are good. Don't know voltage on pink wire to solenoid but nothing is getting power beyond the dash lights at ign on so maybe there is something else loose connection ?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2002 evanrude 225 ficht electrical issue random starts

voltage at the pink wire on the solenoid should be the same as the cranking voltage.

Those motors require a very strong battery and at minimum 800CCA or 1000MCA but a larger one if you can do it is better, such as a group 31

Use a clip on timing light to check spark on each cylinder while cranking and a fuel pressure gauge to monitor what is being delivered to the injectors.  Be sure cranking voltage at the starter post and ground is at least 10 volts for the EMM to boot up.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Large 1000 cca battery. It will turn over fine if I jump the solenoid. The problem now is the motor turned over 3 separate times with the ign switch. I could hear fuel pump than on each time. It almost started all 3 times. I pulled injector afterwards and there was plenty of fuel in there. After the third start attempt it just stoped doing anything other than showing voltage on gauge and the one beep. I tried another ign switch also and check neutral safety switch. What else can I try
Highlighted
Skipper

Anyone ?
Highlighted
Admiral

We are not here to fix your motor over the internet, but to offer suggestions and to point you in the right direction when possible.

At the point where you and the motor are at, refer to a factory service manual or enlist the services of a FICHT trained technician.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

No one in my area will work on a ficht motor. Get a new motor is the reply from any shop here. I replaced the starter solenoid and motor turns over every time now. It tries to fire for a 2 or 3 secs and dies. I've checked all plugs have fire. Pulled all injectors and cycled fuel them. Fuel pump runs for 10 secs or so. Running brand new fuel from a small remote can. Tried starting fluid in each plug. Tried 2 diff emm. If motor won't even run on starting fluid I assume it has to be elec or timing bad stator ? What makes the most sense to check next. I've never seen any kind of motor have perfect compression ,fire and air not run on starting fluid unless it was a timing issue. There are no backfires or related timing problems. Just a quick start and then dies. Also brand new 1200 cca battery with charger backing it up at 25 amps
Highlighted
Skipper

Didn't pull lower 2 injectors because the lower cowling is in the way. When each injector is pulled and ign cycled. Alot of fuel comes thrrough them. Although when plugs are pulled. They don't seem very wet. Makes me wonder where all this fuel is going .?
Highlighted
Skipper

Grounded all plugs they all fire after 2 seconds of start delay. But motor still won't fully start even with starting fluid in plugs and sprayed in intakes. Could the emm turn the fuel pump on tell the starter solenoid to turn starter and fire ign but mess the timing up so bad that the emm is faulty and need replaced again?