Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2004 225 Saltwater- Fuel/acceleration issues

I have a 1995 Sea Pro 210 WA that has the Evinrude 225 Saltwater series on it. This engine had ran great but on a fishing trip in October. We started it up to move to a different location and it would not pick up speed or open up as it should/had. The boat would normally run around 40mph without issue but when this issue arose it would fall flat on its face between 12-15mph. It does not have any noticeable missing, knocking, smoking or etc. I consulted with a shop mercury mechanic at the marina and was told not to run the boat at all until it was checked out by Evinrude technician. Although the mercury tech wouldn’t check it out he estimated this to most likely be a fuel issue. If at all possible I need to fix this myself if at all possible from both a financial and logistics aspect as I am currently on a layoff from work and live over 100 miles from the nearest marine mechanic. I have changed both fuel filters but that did not help. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to try next?

Admiral

Re: 2004 225 Saltwater- Fuel/acceleration issues

The first thing in troubleshooting is to find out which system(s) is at fault - electrical, mechanical, ignition, or fuel delivery.

Start with a visual inspection of the sparkplugs, freely moving linkage and throttle plates, corrosion problems, compression, carburetors and fuel pump, and spark output.

We cannot teach you to become a technician and cannot fix things over the internet, but we can offer suggestions and try to educate you about your motor. You can learn things from a factory service manual and may have to purchase some specialty tools for troubleshooting if you do not want to have a trained mechanic check things over for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I also had the spark plugs replaced when the filters were changed.
Highlighted
Mate

I have looked for visible damages, corrosion and etc and checked all visible connections-both hoses and electrical. A friend told me to replace the fuel line and primer bulb going to the engine and check the line back to tank for blockage. It was also recommended to check fuel pressure produced by the pump and vacuum on the inlet side. Can anyone tell me what I need to do that?