Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2005 250 DI rpms increasing in neutral

My engines have 490 hours on them, I purchased and installed them last year. Fished about 6 times with no major issues except for a few times when I would start the stbd motor the rpms would rapidly increase as if it was a run away motor happened once while fishing and once I got the engine on gear the problem went away.Now this year it's a bigger problem as it happens at least 50% of the time. I hooked up diagnostics and have no faults. I did notice that the TPS % increased on the starts where it would way over idling and decreased when it would start normally. The percentages were .73 when it would over rev and .41 when it would idle around 850. Even when it would start normally it wasn't idling very smooth. My tps voltage with motor off is reading 1.34 which I'm pretty sure is high. Manual is ordered but don't have it yet.
Thanks for any help and I look forward to helping others as well as this is my first post.
Highlighted
Mate

Re: 2005 250 DI rpms increasing in neutral

Should also mention that it frequently stalls when shifting from neutral to reverse
Highlighted
Admiral

Increasing rpm and sounding like its running away means the throttle position sensor may be giving false readings to the EMM, there is slop in the linkage or out of adjustment or there is fuel getting into the crankcase from a flooding vapor separator tank or a leaking fuel pump diaphragm.

Your motor is at least 14 years old and requires complete service annually or at 100 hours. Do you have 14 services on the motor?

Stalling when shifting can be a number of things also.

Have a trained technician do a complete service on the motor paying close attention to the above possiblilties. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I bought the motor last year as I stated and it has 1 service since I bought it. Yes I know how old they are. Trained technicians are hard to find this time of year that's why im trying to fix it my self while I wait for the several I've called to get back to me. Thank you for your suggestions I'll be posting as I work through it this weekend