Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

2005 Triton 202 sea hunt, 2004 150 hp Evinrude 150 hp fuel injected 2 stroke steering problem.

[ Edited ]

I bought a 05 sea hunt with an 04 evinrude 150 fuel injected 2 stroke.

If I let go of the steering wheel it turns to the right. Even at idle but get worse as more throttle is applied. The prop spins straight as far as I can tell when I spin it with my hand. Also there is no vibrations at full throttle just hard right turn. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciate. Thank you for reading.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2005 Triton 202 sea hunt, 2004 150 hp Evinrude 150 hp fuel injected 2 stroke steering problem.

@Tekin wrote:

I bought a 05 sea hunt with an 04 evinrude 150 fuel injected 2 stroke.

If I let go of the steering wheel it turns to the right. Even at idle but get worse as more throttle is applied. The prop spins straight as far as I can tell when I spin it with my hand. Also there is no vibrations at full throttle just hard right turn. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciate. Thank you for reading.

That is what the trim tab is for. From the back of the engine, if the boat automatically turns to the right (STB) then move the trim tab to the right. It is trial and error to get it exact, however keep in mind that it can only be adjusted at one trim setting and boat speed. Any other speeds or settings would be only a compromise. 

From the 2004 FICHT operator's guide

Trim tab adjustment

A propeller will generate steering torque when the propeller shaft is not running parallel to the water’s surface.

The trim tab is adjustable to compensate for this steering torque. IMPORTANT: A single trim tab adjustment will relieve steering effort under only one set of speed, motor angle and load conditions. No single adjustment can relieve steering effort under all speed, motor angle and load conditions.

If the boat pulls to the left or right when its load is evenly distributed, adjust the trim tab as follows: With the motor shut OFF, loosen the trim tab screw. If the boat pulled to the right, move the rear of the trim tab slightly to the right. If the boat pulled to the left, move the rear of the trim tab slightly to the left.

Tighten the trim tab screw to a torque of 35-40 ft. lbs. (47-54 N·m). Test the boat and, if needed, repeat the procedure until steering effort is as equal as possible.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2005 Triton 202 sea hunt, 2004 150 hp Evinrude 150 hp fuel injected 2 stroke steering problem.

Thank you once again blue water Bill! I tried to do my own research before posting anything on here. I see the tab you are describing.. Again thank you for your knowledge and time!!!