Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2006 200HO not starting, running pooly

Hey Guys, thanks for the help. I have an 06 200HO on a 23 Seabird on a bracket with around 500 hrs on it, hung in 2014 new. It has always run excellent until last time we used it. We did a lot of idling that day trying to find a tugboat prop on the intercoastal, after it was found and lifted we headed back to the ramp. I had noticed it seemed like it had an occasional miss on the way back and gradually we lost power. We stopped and removed the external water seperator and spin on on the engine, dumbped them in a cup to check for water and found none, installed 2 new filters and fired her up again. She ran but poorly, by the time we got in sight of the ramp she would barely run, had to keep the throttle up and we finally got on the trailer most of the way. I pulled the plugs expecting to find a wiped cylinder and alum shed off on a plug, I found severely black fouled plugs. Put in a new set, indexed and she fired up and ran, I was happy for a few min. She started to run like a looper with loose magnets, missing, popping etc. I load tested the old batteries (2 group 31), they were weak so I put some optimas in it. She makes about 20 psi fuel pressure but bleeds down and pops but won't start. I see on the EMM that the top light and bottom 2 light while cranking but the second one down does not. Fuel is not old and non ethanol. Engine has always been flushe with fresh water after use. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.  

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2006 200HO not starting, running pooly

I think you should have at least 30 Pi's on fuel pressure. The electric pump has a filter screen at the bottom, have to pull it from the vapor seperator tank to see it.
Highlighted
Skipper

I'll have a look, thank you
Highlighted
Admiral

What number sparkplugs and are they indexed correctly?

Is each cylinderhead warming up close to 160 degrees? 

Has the exhaust pressure sensor tube been cleaned and/or replaced?

What are the compression numbers for each cylinder?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The plugs are QC10PEPB and are indexed correctly and torqued. I do not have the compression number, they were all within a few lbs. I have no temps because it will not start now. Is fuel pressure supposed to be 30psi?  Not that it matters and I dont want to seem know-it-all but I have been turning a wrench for fun and profit close to 40 years, cars, truck, motorcycles, ATVs, inboard gas, outboards in the 80's and diesel and generators the last 20 with that other stuff mixed it.  

Highlighted
Captain

The ETEC has a high pressure direct injection system. Normal fuel pressure from the electric high pressure fuel pump is 30-35 psi. 20 psi won't fill the injectors fast enough to run above an idle.
Highlighted
Admiral

Does the 20 psi reading drop to 10 psi and hold when the key is turned off, or does it drop to 0 ?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

When I started working on ETECs I had 40 years of wrenching, 28 years as an Automotive technology instructor, and 25 years as ASE certified master Auto tech and engine machinist. Still had a lot to learn about the ETEC 55 volt system and fuel system.