Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2006 Etec 250 gets warm at low speeds / vibrates around 1500 - 2000 rpms

I have two 2006 etec 250. 1 of the motors shakes and vibrates like crazy around 1500-2000 rpm plus it gets hot at idle and under 2500 rpms. Props have been replaced. LIFT PUMP AND VST replaced,  REPLACED 3 OT OF 6 CYLINDERS 2,4,6. Boat still gets hot and vibrates the whole transom under 2000. please help!

Admiral

Re: 2006 Etec 250 gets warm at low speeds / vibrates around 1500 - 2000 rpms

It could be a number of things or even a combination of circumstances that may be causing the rough running conditions that you describe about one engine. A thorough visual inspection of the engine components and tightening of the engine mount fasteners, powerhead bolts, gearcase bolts, steering shaft, etc would be the first step. Check propshaft for any out of true measurement over .005"

During the 1500-2000 rpm range the motor is changing combustion modes from the economical low-speed stratified mode to the higher speed power producing mode and the severity depends on the propping, engine state of tune, timing, and throttle postion sensor calibration.  If the exhaust sensor tube is plugged or damaged, that can also contribute to rough running as well as worn sparkplugs or dirty or carboned up injectors.

Your motor is at least 12 years old and should have had its 4th major 3yr-300hr service done, plus any applicable service bulletins complied with and possible software updates.  If not, have a dealer check all the mentioned items in addition to the required service procedures.

If your WOT rpm is less than 5500 rpm, the vibration could be more noticeable.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: 2006 Etec 250 gets warm at low speeds / vibrates around 1500 - 2000 rpms

The boat has been at the shop with the evinrude authorized mechanic for over 2 months now in and out twice and everytime i go pick it up the $$ adds up, I'm down $4500 and the engine still has problems with running hot up to 187.5 at idle and low rpms "No alarms" before it cools down a bit. Once I give it gas it will cruise and wot with no problem at temps under 160. My WOT is at 5700 smooth no vibrations. The vibrations come from that motor only between the previously mentioned rpms between 1400-2000, once I pass that im good. Reason Im seeking out help is due to the fact that its a crazy harsh vibation compared to the other motor. 330hrs with service done, spark plugs, water pump, thermostats, new filters, pumps, now 3 injectors suppsedly one running lean and two out of oms. So i Ok if they need to be replaced then they must but I got the motor back and its still running hot on top of that the motor shuts off when place in gear the moment u drop it in the water. So when its cold mostly, once it runs a bit or I rev it in neutral and try to put it in gear a few time eventually it will hook without shutting down. What could be causing that? 

Thanks for the help.