Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

2007 Evinrude 150 HO won't stay running.

[ Edited ]

So, brought the boat to the lake last weekend to find out battery was completely drained.

Tried jumping it from trolling motor battery, and another guys running boat, wouldn't start.

Brought it home, charged the starting battery, brought it to the lake a few days ago.... it would start and then die within a few seconds, this would happen about 5 times.  Finally started and stayed running and was perfectly fine all day. (starting and stopping normally many times and running perfect)  Figured the battery was weak so...

Bought a new Interstate 27M-XHD battery (fully charged) , brought it to the lake today, same thing happened, start/die, start run for a few seconds die , again about 5 times of this and it finally stayed running and again was fine all day after that.  (starting and stopping normally many times and running perfect)

Any idea of what's wrong?

Captain

Re: 2007 Evinrude 150 HO won't stay running.

As an Evinrude tech at a dealer my first step would be to change spark plugs as they may be Carbone's up and not work well until they get a little heat from cranking a few times. There are a couple of oil recirculation hoses running to the top of the engine that have check valves. These can stick and cause too much oil to drain into the bottom cylinder when the engine sits overnight.
Admiral

If you plan on doing work on the motor yourself, the first thing to do is to obtain the factory service manual and study it.

Your motor is already 12 years old and due at least for its 4th  required 3yr/300hr. dealer service

Remove and replace or clean out the exhaust pressure sensor tube and the restrictor in the hose near the EMM. Do a compression test, fuel pressure test, check VST internal filter, etc.

You can learn a lot from etecownersgroup.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

I have the service manual and have been studying it, also have a compression tester and fuel pressure guage and diagnostic cable on the way ( can't find my old one ), timing light, and have a multimeter.

I've had the engine for ~2.5 yrs now , and had a 300 hr service done last year (Sept), during which the VST was replaced.

Guess it could have been coincidence with the battery that was run down and then wouldn't start... but I plan to run the capacitor/stator tests/ignition coil tests as well.

I'll pull the plugs, check the condition/gaps and run some compression tests, fuel pressure test, check the exhaust pressure sensor tube/restrictor, oil recirc hoses and see if there are codes in the software..

I do see some oil (although could be grease) on the outside of the capacitor, just above the rubber sleeve, and on the side of the engine block, near the capacitor, waiting on some electrical gloves before I mess with the capacitor though.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Hmmmm, doesn't appear I was given the correct VST during my 300 hour servicing, and I see no pressure test fitting on it, unless it's on the bottom.

Looks nothing like the manual, or the part listed on marineengine.com.  Looks more like the VST on my 25HP with the pump inside.

IMG_0436.JPG

My engine is : Model E150DHLSUF

IMG_0437.JPG

Engine started/running fine right now btw... 

Captain

[ Edited ]

If the oil built up in the lower cylinder , wouldn't I have seen a lot of smoke as the oil burned off during the first few starts?

Need a thinner 1/4 ratchet extension to take the lower engine cover off to get to the lower part of the VST and also there is a sticker on the side, so I can find out what VST I have in there.

Looks like the test fitting may be on the bottom of the VST, it also appears it may be the correct one, based on some pics I saw on ebay... will know once I can get the bottom cover off.

Captain

The original fuel pump/VST has been replaced by the current style pump that you have. It has no pressure test fittings. A pressure test requires the construction of "T" fitting and removing the outlet hose from the VST. No pressure test fittings means less chance of a fuel leak.

That capacitor won't bite you if the key has been off for 10 minutes.
Captain

[ Edited ]

Ah, ok, wheww, good to know on the VST. My 2012 VST on the 25HP had a test fitting and the pics in the manual indicated one, that's one of the reasons why I thought it might have been the wrong one.  But I guess fewer parts are better. Still gonna wait on the gloves for the capacitor Smiley Happy, but good to know.

Btw, is the exhaust pressure fitting safe for cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner?  Are there any internal rubber/plastic parts?

Admiral

@golfmonke wrote:

I do see some oil (although could be grease) on the outside of the capacitor, just above the rubber sleeve, and on the side of the engine block, near the capacitor, waiting on some electrical gloves before I mess with the capacitor though.

If there are no leaks on the capacitor, check the connections for cleanliness and security and shake the canister. There should be no rattle.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

The exhaust back pressure sensor system has a hose that connects to a fitting on the midsection, that can be cleaned out manually. Inside the hose near the EMM end is an all brass restrictor which can be removed with compressed air. Safe for an ultrasonic cleaner but we also use a fine wire to run through it.