Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2008 Evinrude E-Tec 115 cranks but won't start

Hi there

I am new here

rather annoyed - love my E-Tec 115.  I loaned my boat to a friend this past August - he used it all day (tubing, etc). Next day it would crank but not start.  I replaced the ignition switch, checked the fuel.  Cranked it for a loooong time and it finally started.  After that, it would start up fine if used within a day or so of the last time.  I just came back to the place after 3 weeks - cranks again but will not start.  Fuel pump making noise so that is OK. Getting the beep - cranks well but just will not start.  Feels like no choke - so I went looking for the choke solenoid - found it (no manual override?) - it does not make a click when I push in the key.  Looks like original internal fuel filter...

I am soooooo looking for someone to help me diagnose this and get it winterized - it is on Martha's Vineyard Island and it costs $125 every time to come here by ferry!

thank you!

Lorenzo

e: lorenzo@inspeed.com

ph: 617-480-3710

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2008 Evinrude E-Tec 115 cranks but won't start

I would first remove the engine mounted fuel filter and check for any water in the fuel.
There is no choke on any E-TEC
Highlighted
Admiral

Fuel pressure and ignition have to be determined as sufficient after examining the fuel quality. What are  the sparkplug gaps and condiion?

Do you have the proper tools and service manual?

That motor is over 11 years old and should have had at least 3 dealer scheduled 3-yr. services and inspections.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

OK will do - thank you - I believe there is a fuel supplement system activated by solenoid that works the same as a choke...  but thanks for the suggestion!

Highlighted
Skipper

hmmm... true - bought it used a couple years ago - never had it properly serviced...  working on that now...  Issue is that it is on Martha's VIneyard - and there do not appear to be any Evinrude dealers there...  So looking for the "stupid" thing that might be causing this at least for starters - would like to winterize it ASAP mainly...

thank you

Highlighted
Captain

The fuel supplement system you are thinking of was an electric primer system which was only used on carbureted engines.
Highlighted
Captain

The key switches were carried over from the earlier engines so the key still pushes in and the dash mounted switch labels say " push to choke" but these have no affect on an ETEC engine. The control boxes have the warm up lever but it should only be used when running the winterizing procedure.
Highlighted
Skipper

ah! good to know!  I have been pushing on that thing a lot!

Highlighted
Admiral

Be sure the thottle is at dead idle also. Do not advance it for starting.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi again

went to the Vineyard with new plugs, fuel filter, some other fuel bits and a lot of Hope.  Nothing.  Same problem.  But I did check for spark - surprise - no spark.  So the engine is cranking over nicely, there appears to be fuel, but no spark.  I am still hopeful it is something simple - any ideas?  Thanks!