Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2009 etec lower unit question

Can you take a 95 Johnson or Evinrude lower unit put the 2009 drive shaft and shift rod on it and use it on the 2009 etec 200ho
2009 E-Tec
200 HO
Skipper

Re: 2009 etec lower unit question

Ok I’ll find out. Thanks for the replies
2009 E-Tec
200 HO
Admiral

[ Edited ]

It is not recommended to try and fit older parts onto newer engines as chances are they  were not intended for newer applications and may have to be modified to work correctly plus already being used, may have a short life span.

A 24 year old gearcase was not designed for the high torque of a modern E-TEC engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Yes sir I figured as much. ( not being a smart a). I purchased a used 2009 boat and motor November 2018 motor had 228 hours, fourteen hours later the lighting busted the gears called the dealer I bought it from, he said he would get me a set of gears at cost ok had Evinrude tech put the gears in. They lasted 133 hours. I was informed the 9 times out of 10 when a gear breaks in that lighting case is probably warped and I can’t afford to spend 6k for a new lower unit or buying a set of gears every 3 to 5 months. Evinrude put a throw away gear case. My opinion. And thanks for reply really.
2009 E-Tec
200 HO
Admiral

Evinrude makes a tool to check if a gearcase is warped, but many dealers do not have one - they are not cheap.

See your dealer as Evinrude sells rebuilt gearcases. The M2 is very heavy duty and rquires a few changes to work on your motor.  This M2 is the recommended L2 replacement since about 2009 or 2010.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks I’ll look that up
2009 E-Tec
200 HO