Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2012 e-tec 25hp no spark.

Hello!

I have a 2012 e-tec 25hp 2-stroke that has no spark.

I own/operate a cycle/atv repair shop. I have no delusions that in no way does that qualify me to be an outboard technician. However, I thought my skillset with atvs and motorcycles would provide enough mojo for me to repair my outboard.

I went ahead and bought the evinrude software right off the bat. After hooking it up and running diagnostics, I get no errors. It shows me all my engine information, it's history, etc. I'm connecting fine and downloading data fine. It just shows everything to be fine. When I run a fire test from the software, the plugs fire no problem. It's only when cranking the engine I get nothing. I assume the coils, cdi, etc are fine then.

I understand this probably isn't a simple fix that someone could diagnose by my brief description, but would anyone have any direction they could point me in?

Thank you in advance.
Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2012 e-tec 25hp no spark.

First things first, you should be posting in the Owner's Zone for better visibility.  

Since you have no problems commnunicating and you can get spark statically while testing, crank the engine over with Evinrude Diagnostics connected and see if you are getting RPM indication on the "Monitor" page.  If you aren't, then you may have a crank position sensor problem (highly unlikely but it's easy to check).  I also recommend setting up a membership at etecownersgroup.com and posting in the I2 section.  Lot's of good helpful folks over there.  

Highlighted
Mate

Thank you so much. I appreciate the info.
Highlighted
Admiral

Multiple inquiries are not needed on this site. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.