Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2014 E-TEC 25 HP OVERHEATING

Bought this motor new in 2014.  This motor is like new, probably been on the water 12 times in 4 years.  Recently moved close to the Missouri River (in Mid-MO).  Just started using it a lot this year.  

Was out tonight on the river, and saw a lot of smoke coming from exhaust,  the throttle then wouldn't engauge properly.  I turned the motor off and drifted for a little ways.  started it back up and took off.  Then.... it started smoking again and gave me the same issue with the throttle. I made it to the boat ramp, and took it home where I flushed with garden hose (water came out clean) , check oil tank (it was 3/4 full), ran the motor in a barrle of water and watched it pee.

I have lines out, and I'm afraid to check them in the morning.  You don't mess around with the Mighty Mo-river.

Not sure what else to do.  This is a fairly new motor that really just started getting use this summer.  What else can I do???

Model:  E25DTEAB     

Admiral

Re: 2014 E-TEC 25 HP OVERHEATING

You say you had it 4 years, did you have a dealer perform the required 3yr./300 hour service which includes a new waterpump and other services as outlined in the operators guide?

Chances are your problem is the water pump but the severe overheating may have damaged some other parts including the thermostat, exhaust tuner, etc.  See your dealer for a complete kit water pump service and ask them to inspect the exhaust tuner for damage and replace the thermostat. This assumes that there are no blockages or restrictions in the system from sand, mud, or debris.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The only experience I have had with owning a boat motor is my dad had a 10 hp Johnson and a 15 hp Mercury that we used over the coarse of 30 years...... Never had to take them in for such reconstruction (did need a carb adjustment a few times, however)....these motors last years and years without major work.  So i'm very inexperienced when it comes to Evinrude motors.

What would I ask for when taking the motor in to the shop?  would I ask for the "300 hour / 3 year service?"  Would they just go through that list?  Is this what everyone does?    I know my boat has way less than 300 hours on the motor...... Probably less than 80.  Didn't realize the thing would wearout just sitting for 3 years.   Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have to take it in.  

I'm sure learning a lot about these things........the hard way.  Thanks again for the quick response.  I'll make an appointment today.

Admiral

Practically every mechanical device requires maintenance or inspections at various intervals, your outboard, just like your car, your A/C & furnace, etc. Owners manuals and operator's guides normally spell out the manufacturer's recommendations.

The old 10 hp Johnson manual had a yearly maintenance schedule.

If you do not have one, you can download a free copy of the your engine's operator's guide at  http://operatorsguides.brp.com .  Select EVINRUDE (or appropriate heading) from the pull down menu, then choose the model number or year of your motor.

The rubber impeller in the water pump need replacing  at stated intervals to prevent them from taking a "set" and lowering the volume of water that they can pump. In addition, time and temperature affects the durability of the rubber and the impellers can come apart, often clogging the cooling water passages up inside the water tube and the motor.

A knowledgeable dealer knows what is required for the routine service, especially in your local environment, such as in saltwater, muddy areas, etc. At the same time any applicable service bulletins should be complied with and any software updates are to be performed. The engine computer keeps a history of the engine along with any service codes that should be corrected.

E-TEC  G1  maintenance schedule 3yr-300 hr.JPG

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you so much for the feedback! Still gotta get my lines out of the river this morning. Wish me luck.
Highlighted
Mate

Got my lines out of the river and Im heading to the Evinrude dealer/shop with my boat. The man on the phone said that the river I Boat in is super hard on water pumps, and is expecting it to be the issue. Once again... thanks for the great feedback/info! I’ll be sure to follow the maintenance schedule from now on. The service guy said I’ll have my boat back by Labor Day!