Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2015 - 150 ETEC Engine Cut Out

Recently, over the last several months, i noticed my engine losing power and in some cases shuts down completely.  As i am going the RMP's drop drastically.  I push the throttle forward and the rpm's recover.  When i stop my boat it is very difficult to start.  In some cases I have to wait a long time for it to start.  Yesterday evening, the boat cut out in the intercoastal waterway and stopped.  I couldnt get it started and drifted up by the bank.  I trimmed the motor up at that point and the boat easily started.  We then went fishing.  I stopped the boat and we fished for a few hours.  before we unachored I started the motor easily and let it idle for about 10 minutes.  I decided then to cut it off.  I tried to restart it about 15 minutes later and it wouldnt start.  I trimmed the motor up and it started up fine.  I never received any alarms.  Any thoughts.  

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2015 - 150 ETEC Engine Cut Out

Your motor may have a combination of problems in your situation.

Have your dealer check for any software updates for you motor and to test the vacuum and for bubbles in your boat's fuel system along with fuel pump pressures while the motor is running at all speeds.

Engine temperature can be monitored with the diagnostic software and in some cases, a different spring can be installed in the pressure relief valve to help keep the gasoline from getting to warm and boiling off when the motor is shut down.  The tech should also inspect the lift pump pulse hose fittings that are pressed into the crankcase. In some cases, they loosen when warm and lower lift pump pressure.

A knowledgeable dealer is likely aware of these tests and can also contact Evinrude dealer support for assistance if needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I have the same exact symptons. I changed my high pressure fuel pump and vaporizer(leaking fuel from fitting)thinking perhaps that was the issue, I replaced my primer bulb just for grins.  My dealer replaced my tps, cps sensor and that large capacitor mounted on the power head(he said it was leaking). It ran great for a few months now it started the same thing all over again.Did you ever get that resolved?

I am totally dissaponted in theis engine..That was only the tip of the iceberg of this engine's issues from the time I bought it brand new 2014. EMM damaged from factory cabling installation (shorting) errors, blown coils, coils working itself loose, leaking water pressure switch causing corossion, lower unit resealed. T&T noisy,  Bombardier told me to "go pack pack salt" basically when I tried to get a lemon replacement. 

Everytime I run my boat I wonder who's going to around to tow me in!

Highlighted
Admiral

We are sorry to hear about the number of issues that you say you've had. Evinrude customer service is very good and would like to hear from you.

Please include the engine serial number and email your concerns to brp.care@brp.com

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I have contacted BRP many times with very complete details and a lengthy letter after my factory coverages were expired. Only BRP factory trained tech's had worked on it through out the Warranty at three different certified dealers and into the extended warranty thru BRP. As soon as my extended coverage was over.. all support and bets were off. I have spent probably a couple thousand dollars trying to get things resolved with no luck. I read in E-Nation of a guy who had what sounded like the same simptoms as I have had with the same model and BRP replaced his entire power pead and his problems are gone. It seems the E-tech customer service support has evolved into a more corporate mentality in the last several years. I used to be able to talk to a tech via the phone.. now they say make an appointment with your local dealer is the first step. 

"it is what it is" 

Does BRP monitor "E-Nation"?

Thank You for your input 

Highlighted
Admiral

A number of people monitor E-NATION but it is not a portal to the factory customer service or tech service departments. There are occasional dealer techs who may read the site at various times and offer gneral advice or direction only. E-NATION is  basically an online magazine.

Evinrude takes customer service very seriously. You may emial brp.care@brp.com with the engine serial number and your concerns.