Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2015 60hp e-tec shifting

I just had a new 60hp 2015 e-tec installed on my new lund rebel 1650 XL tiller.  I have two questions.One is The shifter on the handle when you go to put in the foward gear you have to really throw it foward ,seems like it needs to be adjusted.Is this something I can fix on my own.I hate to drive an hour and a half back to dealer for a half hour fix.Im an automotive tech.The second question is the steering is hard to steer.the trim tab in front of the prop, which way do you adjust the tab too.I have to hold  the handle to the right pretty hard,so do you turn tab to the right as well? Thanks1  John M

Admiral

Re: 2015 60hp e-tec shifting

[ Edited ]

The easiest way to remember how to reposition the trim tab is to ease up on the wheel or tiller and see which way the boat wants to go on its own, then turn the trim tab in the same direction. Go a small bit at a time until you get it where if works best. Remember that at different speeds and different trim positions, the trim tab may not feel the same.

If you are saying that it is hard to shift when the motor is running, then see your dealer for a possible adjustment.

If you are shifting it with the motor off, then you may be binding the linkage if the clutch dogs are not lining up. I belive the owners manual warns about shifting if the motor is not running.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It's not hard to shift ,you just have to put it all the way forward to go into gear.If its in nuetral and you go to put in forward gear a little it makes this sound like its trying to go into gear.clicking noise,not all the way in gear.I'm afraid sometime it may jump out of gear with me.would that be a cable adjustment problem?

Admiral

It sounds like its just needs the shift cable adjustment.  Has the gearcase been removed for any reason?

Remove the shift cable eye from the engine shift lever. With the motor in nuetral, the centerline of the lever should be parallel to the centerline of the crankshaft or crankcase split-line when any freeplay is centered. If it is not then there may be other gearcase adjustments that your dealer has to do.

Once the engine lever is centered and the cable removed, center the tiller shift lever. Center the freeplay in the cable and adjust the trunion to slip the cable eye over the lever pin. If that does not help, see your dealer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

The gearcase cover to my knowledge has not been off ,as I will try what you had told me to do on the shift linkage. Thanks Bluewater bill.