Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2015 75 hp E-tec

Im new to the E-tec, upgraded last year, so I have a few questions.

Thank you in advance.

The hose hook up that gos into the area where the cooling engine water comes out. I am being told not to run the

engine while that hose it hooked up, but yet I have seen videos of other doing it when they are going through

the winterizing aspect.    So who it right? Is it ok to run engine with water hose hooked up without muffs?

It is due for its 3 year maint, what is the rough amount of what that will cost?

Captain

Re: 2015 75 hp E-tec

Yes, it is ok to run the engine on the rear flush port as stated in the owner's manual. You should not exceeded 15 psi of hose water pressure. Cost of 300 hour service would vary between dealers so unable to reply to that.
Skipper

Thank you, hoping its normal water hose so should not be over 15 psi.

Admiral

In most cases you do not have to worry about the water pressure if you only open the faucet about 1/2 way.  I believe the specs  are not to exceed 40 psi or the outlet tube can become dislodged.

For the 300 hr. or 3-year service figure anywhere from 2-1/2 to 4 hours depending if in saltwater or if other repairs are needed.  A list of common parts replaced are shown below. Talk to your dealer for more details and pricing.

Commonly replaced parts list. If in freshwater, the anodes and thermostat may not need replacing very often.

5005440 thermostat
339044 gasket
331188 oring
5007335 fuel filter
Champion spark plugs
778748 HPF Pro gear lube kit with pump
311598 drain screw gasket
306394 cot300 hr. E-TEC 75-90 service kitter pin
5001595 water pump kit
436745 anode
5007089 anode
351244 Muffler filter

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Here's my experience with my 2014 75hp Etec.

I called at least 4 different dealers to see what they do during a 3 year service, which I had done last Fall.

I found the details on what gets done to be all over the map. Everyone gave me a different list and pricing was ridiculous, to say the least. I was given pricing from  $650-$900. I finally decided on a dealer in Bayville,NJ which is near to my boat ramp. I got the boat back after a day or 2 with a price of $882.70 of which.

$286.45 Parts

$575.00 Labor x 5HOURS

$28.75 Shop supplies

$56.78 Tax

Mind you I also had changed  fuel filter, water separator the day before and they charged me again.

Yes, you would think that BRP would set parts and pricing for 3 year service at all of their dealerships so the customers get fair pricing.

Admiral

Outboard motor dealers, not just Evinrude ones, are independent business people who are free to set their own pricing depending on their expenses, location, and labor costs. It is the same for car dealers, as they set their own service pricing, too. 

You may want to talk to them and ask for an explanation of the labor costs and needed items. Was there salt corrosion or frozen bolts that took more time than normal?

In any case it is always a good idea to discuss in advance what a repair would cost and to set a limit to where you would be contacted if something caused the estimate to exceed that limit.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I was told by the dealer that they are more thorough than other shops. There was no issues that caused rusted bolts. My motor has no corrosion as I maintain it meticulously!!! 

Admiral

Did hey replace the #351244  muffler filter?

Captain

They didn't list it as part replaced on my invoice.

Is there a way to upload my invoice for verification?

Admiral

Read your operator's guide. In the middle of the list of maintenance items, it mentions inspect or replace the muffler foam, also called the muffler filter in the parts books.