Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2018 Evinrude G2 200 HP H.O. issues?

I had an older 2001 FICHT 200HP Evinrude that I might toos and repower with the 2018 G2 200HP. I've read online that the earlier G2 engine has issues with plastic parts that grind down quickly and get lodged in the fuel systems causing the motor to stop. Repairs seem to continue on these fuel systems over and over on the engine, and Evinrude won't help with repairs. Has anyone (or does anyone) have any advice or website information that a layman can review that would provide unbiased critical information about the reliability of this engine before I buy? It seems that the old 2001 FICHT 200 that I bought was a lemon from the start and I must have been one of the few lucky ones who didn't throw their engine away long ago. If I need to move to another brand (yamaha, Honda) and you can provide some information, please do. Offshore fishing used to be fun before you realize you might have been running a bad engine and just got lucky!

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2018 Evinrude G2 200 HP H.O. issues?

Why don’t you head on over to Etec Owners group to see what kind on response this gets? I’m hearing crickets here.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for the heads up. Nothing, no responses. I will try the other site.

Highlighted
Admiral

It appears that you are a victim of some online misinformation concerning the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines. There were no fuel system plastic parts that would disintegrate inside the motor.  Some years ago there were some fuel line companies and one outboard manufacturer (not Evinrude) whose fuel hoses had plastic liners that disintegrated from ethanol fuels and the debris would lodge inside filters, pumps, valves, etc. of all makes of outboards.

The very early G2 modelsused a plastic coupler between the power steering motor and the hydraulic pump that would fail occasionally but that only resulted in more effort needed  to turn the motor, such as turning the steering wheel in your car with the motor off.  A service bulletin was published notifying dealers and a metal coupler was developed.

A 2001 FICHT was built in 2000 by the now defunct OMC during its last year. It contained many design improvements over earlier FICHTS but it was too late to save the company.  In March of 2001 Bombardier went through all parts inventory and restructured production in a modern new facility and greatly improved on the FICHT  design up through 2007 models. That was also the year of the V4 and smaller V6 E-TEC engines.  Many of the parts suppliers of the older FICHT engines went out of business in the recession years and thus certain repair parts are not available for FICHT engines. There are companies that do EMM and PDP reparies and rebuilding of & recalibrating of FICHT injectors.

There are many old FICHTs still running and some have accumulated thousands of hours on them.

The suggested site, etecownersgroup.com is run by an Evinrude dealer and has some highly experienced technicians and knowledgeable E-TEC owners who provide factual information compared to the  ill-informed "wild west keyboard-cowboys" on various boating websites that are prevalent on the 'net.

IF you do have a technical question about E-TEC outboards, both here and at etecownersgroup.com you will receive accurate answers.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Bluewater Bill;

Thank you for pointing me in a better direction. I haven't experienced any issues with my engine (2001 200HP FICHT) since I bought it new, until this year. It's got to be a combination of bad gas and fuel pump issues from lack of use. I have someone who is supposedly highly trained on this particular engine that will look at this machanical issue for me. I was very concerned that parts (specifically fuel system parts) were almost non-existent, and that money spent for EMM repairs would be thrown away if we cold not repair any subsequent fuel system issues. (we must repair or recalibrate the EMM before we can go forward with any engine/fuel system repairs I am being told??) The EMM shows a fuel related issue (code 57?) yet I am told there are NO code 57's out there? I find a code 57 on the Internet - fuel related issues. I was hoping that there were/are parts available for any repairs, but I'm not in a position to spend $1000 on EMM repairs and more, just to find we can't get a simple $15-$20 plastic part needed to complete the repairs. I appreciate your reply and assistance, and I hope that the mechanic I'm planning on taking the motor to is a part of your forum. I will print out any/all suggestions and take those with me when I haul the boat in for repair. I am working to compile all existing information on parts for him, if needed! Have a great day, thanks again.

BB

Highlighted
Captain

Code 57 is very rare so you won't find much about it on "the internet". I have only seen it happen two times and it can be cleared by a tech with the diagnostic software.
A more accurate description of that code is " high engine rpm with low throttle". Generally termed as a "run away engine" and the EMM prevents restarting for safety reasons. Most often caused by excess fuel in the engine (fuel system problem).
In one one of my cases the customer hit a log at high speed. He had a hotfoot throttle so he dropped the throttle to zero while the boat was in the air and the engine rpms were very high.
Highlighted
Admiral

Code 57 causes are often from a fuel leak through a lift pump diaphragm getting into the engine through a pulse line. The excessive and unregulated fuel entering the motor allowed the motor to increase in rpm.

In some cases, someone cross-threaded the spin-on fuel filter and the pressurized gasoline sprayed all other and some was ingested into the engine intake causing the motor to "run away."

Code 57 is a safety feature, and should be cleared by a dealer so as to check over the motor for any fuel ingestion problems.

Occasionally, as Rick mentioned previously, revving the motor with no load on it and quickly chopping the throttle can also trigger the code. Occasionally it happens when someone is running the motor on a hose and advances the throttle.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I have a 2016 G2 200 HO and so far had a few minor issues. I had the manifold replaced (recall?), programming done, and there was an issue where the engine would shut off relating to the key. All fixed under warranty in first year. It has had no issues since and I run it hard. 

Highlighted
Skipper

RICKMLC:

Thanks much for your reply. Sounds very close to what I experienced without hitting anything. I did indeed find the engine running away, and I immediately turned to pull the throttle back to slow/neutral. Simultaneoulsy, my knee hit the kill switch knocking the kill switch off the ignition,while pulling the throttle back. The engine alarm went off I recall, and the engine died at the exact same time the switch went off  too. Seemed like the perfect storm, all happening at the exact same moment. The engine would not restart, or even turn over. I've learned that it's most likely a "bad fuel" issue (I agree) and I agree that the EMM shut the system down to protect the engine. I am just hoping that this particular problem engine (it caused the baknkruptcy I have been told) has had a lot of issues, and I was just hoping, and still do hope, that my engine can be repaired and parts found. We'll see, and I hope to report back to all people who might have this engine, or people looking for good Evinrudes in the present will remain informed. I do appreciate all the information and I will take all the assistance with me when I pull the boat in for service. All the comments and information will help point us in a better direction! Thanks all.

BB

Highlighted
Skipper

BlueWater Bill:

I can't thank you guys enough for your help with these issues on my engine. I am getting a terrific education (very clearly taught!) on the possible reasons my engine has the issues it has. Between the 4 mechanics I've had it with and their opinions, and the suggestions on this site, I can blend the comments and assistance together and understand the potential issues that I'm faced with. The mechanic I'm taking it to next week has already given some of the same advice I've gotten form here; (1) the fuel lift pump needs rebuilt, as the diaphram is probably disintegrated, (2) the fuel code 57 can be reset by him without having to send it out for a $900+ repair, (3) he can possibly get ahold of any injectors that "might" need replaced or rebuilt in case they are found to be bad. The EMM didn't show that any injectors were bad, so I'm hoping that these repairs can be performed and parts needed, found. Any other information is certainly welcomed too that might help with these issues. Just finding out that the EMM can be reset without the $900+ fee to send it off is super!

Thanks again!

BB