Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate
Accepted Solution

2cycle oil leak 25hp etec

Looking for suggestions , I started to notice oil on water last season so I took my boat to the dealer I purchased the 2012 25 hp etec new and had just had my 3 yr. check up in the spring they told me they could not find a leak but it was possible that the red oil I was using was too thin in cold weather and to use the 100 . I seem to remember them telling me to use the red oil when I bought the motor anyhow they charged me 150.00 and sent me on my way. I winterized it and stored it inside for the winter.When I pulled it out today I noticed that the red 2 cycle oil had been leaking out of the bottom of unit at the seam where the side covers meet. I opened it up and it appears to have come the oil tank or pump assembly. i dried it up and have not noticed a leak and i have not started it yet, not wanting to take it back to the same place since I have had problems there before and I have paid them thousands, any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2cycle oil leak 25hp etec

The oil pump is sealed to the oil tank with one or two o-rings, depending on year model. It is an easy repair to replace the pump to tank seal.
Highlighted
Admiral

Early models had problems with leaky oil tanks, usually at a seam. You can buy the tank by itself if the dealer looks up the service bulletin.

In some cases if the tank if filled to the brim, some can seep the upper clamp and rubber seal on the top of the tank when tilted.

It is best to fill leaving about a 1" air space at the top ot the tank.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

thanks for the quick response guys I have ordered the o-ring and will replace it first ,the oil seemed like it might have came from that area I did not see any oil above the pump.then refill and check all seams again . I will post what I find ,gotta get  on the water the bite is on!    thanks again

Highlighted
Mate

all ok on the 2cycle oil leak i also replaced the o-ring in the tank cap. would have been nice if my evinrude mechanic found it ,I dont mind spending 90.00 per hr. for good service if you can find an honest tech
Highlighted
Captain

Thanks for the report that you found and fixed the leak. Having solutions reported can help other owners and techs.
Techs have to learn from experience and research so more likely a "dishonest" tech is one that did not know where to look to see a problem. Evinrude does an excellent job of providing several sources for techs to find information.