Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

3 Blade Prop Vs 4 Blade

Hi, Seeking some guidance regarding prop selection.
I have a 2015 Crevalle 25 Bay Boat Powered by 2015 300 G2. Boat approx weight no motor 3600 lbs. 5 Batteries, Fuel , Equipment Passsengers 750lbs. What pitch do you suggest and 3 blade vs 4 blade. Thank you
Admiral

Re: 3 Blade Prop Vs 4 Blade

What prop do you have on it now and what is the top speed and top rpm trimmed out ?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Rebel Stainless Steel 48 knots @ 5400 RPM
Admiral

@GalvestonBay wrote:
Rebel Stainless Steel 48 knots @ 5400 RPM

What size Rebel?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Hello,

i'm Marzio and i'm writing from italy. I just bought a new boat and a new G2 300. I'm interested about this discussion because i've the same dubt about prop. Raker ho 24" or rx4 22"?  Boat is saver 750 wa. 7.5 lenght 1500kg (3300 lb) weight more aprox 1800 lb (engine, fuel, anchor....). 

Thank you

Admiral

@arz wrote:

Hello,

i'm Marzio and i'm writing from italy. I just bought a new boat and a new G2 300. I'm interested about this discussion because i've the same dubt about prop. Raker ho 24" or rx4 22"?  Boat is saver 750 wa. 7.5 lenght 1500kg (3300 lb) weight more aprox 1800 lb (engine, fuel, anchor....). 

Thank you

The Raker HO is more for high performance types of boats. The RX-4 is a great all around prop for an Evinrude E-TEC G2.

Highlighted
Skipper

So, rx4 is more efficient at medium range rpm and loose some mph on top speed?
Captain

[ Edited ]

For a 5000lbs boat, the Raker is not suitable IMHO. I would be surprised if you could turn either of those props to the target rpm range in a 23 ft 5000 lb boat. I'm referring to the pitch. I use both a Raker and RX4 on my boat. You need to minimally get to 5600 rpm to prevent damaging the engine.

The Raker is a faster prop on certain hulls. Its faster because it has a very high rake, which is designed to lift the hull out of the water. In a heavy boat it won't be able to.

Raker is for bass boats and performance hulls.

This is guesswork but I would start with a 18 inch RX4, (loaded) and see where your WOT RPM is.

Skipper

18” or better start with 20”?
Admiral

I would guess to start with the 18" and test run with a full tank of fuel and the normal load of passengers and equipment.