Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

45 HP Commercial Jonson

Hi can someone help me understand the year and approximate model number for this 45 HP comercail I picked up?  The model number plate is missing where you would normallly see it, or it is painted over  (I'm looking on the starbord side o the engine for the model serial "made in xxx" plate).  Would be neat to know which plant they manufactured these motors in North America.  It looks exaclty like this one:

https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/1993-johnson-45-hp-tiller-motor.284691/

Admiral

Re: 45 HP Commercial Jonson

Chances are a 1993 45 HP was produced in the Waukegan, IL plant. 

Look for a 1" silver disc on the engine block that may have a serial number on it that we might be able to look up for you,

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Found it: C7989478 and I also found a sticker that is flaking off that I can barely read "made in canada" on the starbord side where you would tyically find the model / serial number.  

Captain

I'm trying to understand if the repair manual 507265 will be relevant for this motor.

Admiral

Since the tag says made in Canada, then that was at the Peterborough plant in Ontario.

We will check the serial number for you but since it is from the defunct Canadian plant, the records may or may not be available.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks Bill. My main interest is go understand which evinrude service manual to use. I think part number 507265 is what I want, but it seems that manual was produced over the course of many years and I can’t tell if my motor precludes the year range the 507265 manual covers.

If it helps I can easily post pictures of my motor with the cover off to help answer which manual I need. It’s entirely possible this cowl is not the original.

I think the engine block is the original - paint all seems intact on the engine block but you never really know. So if the serial number is in your records great! Otherwise I can post pictures.
Admiral

Hi

Post any pictures that you have such sides of the powerhead with the motor cover removed, motor cover decals if original and whole side image of the motor from powerhead to gearcase.

What engine model numbers does the service manual cover ?

Captain

Hi Bluewater I have posted my pictures of the 45 hp commercial johnson in the public forum, let me know if you can see them, there should be 4 of them.  

The advertisement says:

Printed in 1991 Written for Johnson Evinrude dealership mechanics, this is a factory service manual With step-by-step instructions, clear pictures, exploded view illustrations, wiring diagrams, schematics, and specifications. This manual covers service information on the following Johnson/Evinrude models: 45 cu in 737cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke models. 25 Models E25DRLEN E25DELEN E25DTLEN E25DREN E25DEEN . . . . . . J25DRLEN J25DELEN J25DTLEN J25DREN J25DEEN 40 Models E40REN E40RLEN E40BAEN E40BALEN E40EEN E40ELEN E40TEEN E40TELEN E40TLEN E40TTLEN 40RGG 40RSLG 40RSYG J40REN J40RLEN J40BAEN J40BALEN J40EEN J40ELEN J40TEEN J40TELEN J40TLEN J40TTLEN 45 Models 45RWLF 45RWYF 45RSF 45RSLF 45RSYF 45RCEN 45RCLEN 45WMLEN 48 Models E48ESLEN J48ESLEN 50 Models E50BEEN E50BELEN E50TELEN E50TLEN E50JEN J50BEEN J50BELEN J50TELEN J50TLEN J50JEN 55 Models 55RWLEN 55RSA 55RSLA 55RSYA

Admiral

I have been informed that there are no available serial number records from the Canada plant.

Captain

Ok thanks Bill. Can you help advise on a suitable service manual based on the 4 pictures I uploaded?