Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: 45 HP Commercial Jonson

After comparing parts lists with your images and brochures with your motor cover picture, the 45 HP was produced for quite a few years. Your particular motor has the aluminum casting air silencer that was used in 1990 and 1991. Earlier engines had different motor cover decals and later versions  had plastic air silencers. That puts your motor in the  '90-'91 model year range. 

Your 1992 manual will work fine for you in showing repair procedures and how things work.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks very much Bill!  Ordering the manual now.

Lots of compression in this motor 120 psi both cylindres and great spark.  

Looking forward to firing her up when it warms.

Captain

So afternoon ordering the manual was looking on the parts catalogue on BRP’s websight. I understood from General forum reading that the difference between this 737cc 45/55 commercial outboard and the non commercial were threefold:

1) bigger alternator
2) larger gearcase with a different gear ratio
3) pull start

I can’t find any evidence of that looking at parts diagrams, the charging system looks to be the same, as does the lower unit.

What are the actual difference and between the two offerings?
Admiral

There are changes made by model and year, so what may apply to one motor may not to another. Yours is Canadian made and may even be different yet.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Having owned 2 OMC commercial outboards (55-65). My belief is that they had thicker head gasket low octane fuel,larger gear case from the V4 series,and chrome plated water pump housing!

Captain

Belief is one thing. I was hoping to see in the parts catalogue of BRP the difference. I can’t find any.
Captain

Finding exact information on a 29 year old engine can be difficult. A low production volume product like a commercial engine would be near impossible.
As an example, if it we're produced with a thicker head gasket it is likely that the gasket is no longer made and was superceeded by the gasket for the regular production engine.
The electronic parts catalog was created many years after your engine was produced so it may not show the differences.
At our dealership we still have a lot of the printed parts catalogs. I'll check to see if we have info on that engine. My boss has been using the printed parts catalogs for 40+ years and can find info faster than I can on the electronic catalog.
Captain

That’s awesome Rick I am going to pull the lower unit shortly since I’ve measuerd good even 120 psi compression and great spark. Good winter job since is freezing outside now.

Once I drain the oil and confirm lower unit holds positive and negative pressure as per manual coming to me shortly, i’ll For sure a least need to do a water pump kit on it. So understanding the parts I need would be valuable.

So far Bluewatsr Bill has narrowed it down to a ‘90 ‘91 model and it looks to me like a long shaft. Built in Peterborough.
Captain

My paper catalogs look the same as the online catalogs. Between looking at the catalogs and talking to my boss I couldn't get any exact information.
Some commercial models:
Had the larger 70hp lower unit with a 13 1/4" prop some did not. Or yours could have been made with the larger lower unit but if it failed it may have been replaced with the more common 40/50 lower unit.
The comercial engines we're available with or without electric start.
Some year models had thicker head gaskets some did not.
Some years there was no difference other than decals between the 45 commercial and the regular 50 hp.
While most parts interchange over a wide year range, many times on older engines we have to visually match parts.
Captain

Thank you for this Rick.

Mine has a 13 1/4 x 15” pitch prop. Pulled the lower unit off today they guy said he ran it sometimes with one of the two 13 3/4 props. Anyway I can tell by looking at it that it has a 70hp lower on it?

I plan on pulling the water pump sometime soon.

Glad it came apart nothing seized yet, lots of grease on drive shaft which is a good thing.