Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

50 hp parts interchangeability.

Hi All,

I have a 1974 Johnson 50 hp. Modlel # 50ESL74M. It.s missing all the ignition parts and carburators. The lower motor cover is also broke. It went through Hurricane Michael. I found a parts motor that has the things I need. But, It doesn't have a model # on it. Just the serial # on the freeze plug. It is E3463440. Would these two have interchangable parts? If not, what other year models would?

Thanks,

Phil

Admiral

Re: 50 hp parts interchangeability.

It wouldn't be until after the factory opens back up after the holiday that we could check the serial number for you. Please post the same question again on next Wed. or Thursday to allow them to catch up on the rush that ensues after a holiday closure.

Does the unknown engine have a round red plug on the motor to connect to the boat wiring like the 1974 engine does, or is it a different color?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

If you could post some pictures of the motor cover if the decals are original and images of the powerhead from all 4 sides, that could help up narrow down the year of the mystery motor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I'm out of town. Will get back with some pictures when I get home.

Thanks,

Phil

Skipper

I believe the mystery motor has a white plug

Phil

Admiral

@pzguitar wrote:

I believe the mystery motor has a white plug

Phil

yellow, black, or red on outboards

Skipper

I think I remember the plug being a light color. So maybe it's the yellow and has faded some.

Phil

Highlighted
Skipper

If it has both a shift and throttle cables the plugs not yellow. Yellow is Hydroelectric - Mag CD - Thorttle cable only.