Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

6HP Evinrude Gas leaking from fuel line connector

Hello all. I have a 6HP Evinrude (model# E6REIA). When i connect the fuel hose to the motor, it desn't click on and stay attached very well. When i pump the bulb, gas then leaks when the hose connects goes on to the fuel line connector. I have to push and hold the hose onto the fuel line connector in order to pump gas into the engine. It will fire up when pulled, but gass drips and the motor will often die when going fast becuase the hose is not staying on tight and the engine isn't getting enough gas. I have purchased a new hose thinking that was the problem, but the problem remains.

So it must be the fuel line connector on the motor itself? Is this something that i can simply replace? Any info would be helpful, as i'm not much of a mechanic, just trying to get this guy running better.

Thank you all in advance,

Jeff

Admiral

Re: 6HP Evinrude Gas leaking from fuel line connector

Is the connector on the gastank hose a genuine BRP Evinrude brand in good shape or one purchased from a big box store or a hardware? Off brand connectors can fit loosely and sometimes leak.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the reply. I would doubt this is a Evinrude hose and clip. I know for sure the one i recently purchased to see if it fixed the problem, came from a big box type store and not from Evinrude. I assume you suggest i get an Evinrude branded hose and try that before replacing any other hardware? I looked online at the fuel connector that is on the motor itself, and that little piece alone is almost $150! 

Thanks,

Jeff

Admiral

Start with purchasing and installing the genuine Evinrude fuel connector for your size fuel hose. They are made for both 5/16" and 3/8" inner diameter lines. 

If there is still a leak, then replace the on-engine fuel connector which is about $55 in the US.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you for that info. The website i saw the on-engine connector was almost $150. I will look around at other websites if a new hose doens't work. I appreciate your help.

Jeff

Captain

You can replace the connector on your current hose with an Evinrude brand connector for much less than the price of a new hose.
Your local dealer should have this in stock or you can use the parts listings on evinrude.com to find and order parts. The hose end connector lists for about $9 USD.