Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Age/model of old Johnson/evinrude

I bought an old Johnson today and was told that it was a 9.9. It is missing the nameplate and has been painted. I suspect that it is a mid 70s, and may not actually be a 9.9, maybe a 6. It looks identical to my six except it has some addition electrical components on the plug wires before the plugs, and another box. I found the number off of the plug in the block, and it is C7032249
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Age/model of old Johnson/evinrude

That is a Canadian built motor and many records were lost or destroyed

Post pictures of the mobor cover decals if original and clear focused pictures of the top, both sides and back of the engine powerhead and we may be able fo narrow things down fo you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]
Highlighted
Skipper

Finally found it it think. I think it is a 1978 6hp. This is based on the motor mounted stop button, vs on the arm. The only thing that I am really wondering about is the is the ignition coils. This motor has 2 mounted at the back of the motor, where my 76 does not. Can anyone tell me more about this, or if my belief is true?
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Your 1976 has tradional points and condenser ignition system with the coils under the flywheel. The '78 model has electronic CD ignition with the external coils.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

What is a better system?
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Age/model of old Johnson/evinrud,

Points and condensors are cheap to fix but require more servicing. CD ignition gives a better spark, less plug fouling, no periodic service but expensive parts if needed.

Highlighted
Skipper

Which one do you suggest running, vs selling?