Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Can someone interpret the data from two motors

Hi I am new to this forum, live in Australia and would like some advice. I have two 2012 90hp etecs on a cat I have recently purchased (third owner). I have images of the diagnostics page for each motor but cant figure out how to load it. On one motor the EMM hours are about half that of the engine hours. Does this mean it has been replaced at some stage? Also the other motor is not charging the battery. The diagnostics shows 14v with motor running but no amps into battery. The good motor shows amps into battery even at idle. All connections have been checked (no wing nuts) just nothing into battery. I can only presume the EMM is faulty. I have read plenty of similar stories and due to the suspicion of one Emm already being changed leads me to believe these EMM's are a little fragile. I have reason to beleive the previouse owner may have jump started this motor. Are there any other checks I should perform before running down the track of acquiring a new EMM? My boat has a large canopy on it and I am actually considering running a solar panel to that battery as the motor runs fine just doesn't charge. It would be nice to be able to upload the diagnostic pdf files but I just can't figure out how to do it.

Captain

Re: Can someone interpret the data from two motors

First you need to make sure each engine is on a separate battery. If there is a battery switch installed or a ground cable between the two negative posts, remove the ground cable at one end. Use a digital volt meter to read the voltage on each battery while cranking and running each engine separately. If the battery voltage increases slowly then the engine is charging.
If both batteries are connected together one engine may be bringing the batteries up to 14 volts, therefore the voltage regulator in the other engine sees no need to charge.
Skipper

Each engine is on its own battery and in every way independent of each other , no connection between them.
Captain

Is there any indication that it isn't charging the battery besides the amperage reading on EVdiag? 14 volts at the battery indicates the the battery is being charged. The only times that I've seen charging system problems the battery would remain at static voltage or decrease. The service manual requires the use of a load tester to check charging system output. Another possibility would be to switch the two batteries around.
Skipper

The 14v is shown on the diagnostics. The battery volts are static at 12.7v as you say. It's as though the diagnostics is reading a voltage at a point internally in the Emm. The external voltage where the Emm connects to the starter cable is the same as the actual battery voltage 12.7 v.
Admiral

Use a digital volmeter on the battry posts and read the voltages while the motor is running. That will give you an accurate test if the battery is getting charged. A clip on ammeter will tell you how muc charge is going in.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Have done that. There is no volts rise on battery or current going in. There is no doubt the battery is not being charged. Can anyone confirm that the Emm on the starboard motor has had a new Emm due to the EVdiag showing the Emm has 110hrs whilst the engine has 220hrs.
Admiral

sounds like the EMM may have been changed out. See if the serial number in the EMM memory is the same one that is on your motor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I can't find a serial number on either Emm that resembles what's in the EVdiag report. Is the serial number on the same sticker as the part number?
Admiral

the engine serial number from the EV Diag printout should be the exact same as the sticker on the motor. If not, then someone swapped a different engine EMM which could be a major problem if the serial numbers and locations of each injector are not as shown in the ECV Diag report.